Is this worth it.

I would leave it exactly where it's at, on Craig's List. :goodjob:

How does he know it works if it keeps tripping the breaker? That means it doesn't work although it could just need a new capacitor or cleaning of the centrifugal switch.

You could let him "show" you how it works and when it trips the breaker, tell him that it doesn't work but you will take it for $20. The wet end is worth at least that.

Well looks like it was a great deal. I went to the guy's house. I talked him down to $25.00. I took it home and took the motor apart. It appeared that the bottom of the motor had sat in water (low) for some time as it had some surface rust. It appeared the starter winding switch had worn through. In addition the motor thru bolts were rusted and one was broken. I ordered the switch on ebay and made some thru bolts out of 8-32 threaded rod and nuts. I plugged it in and it powered up. I ran it for a few minutes, heat and everything else was good. My assumption was the starter switch was bad and that cause the motor to overheat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.