Sand in pool

Jun 13, 2012
Russellville, AR
I vacuumed today because there was a lot of dirt in the pool from the past week (water was nice and clean... and cold!!), and I've really liked the filter/pump I installed at the beginning of the week (see signature).

However, looking at the vacuum bag, a large percentage of what I vacuumed was sand - the exact kind from the filter. How is this possible?

If you just installed the sand filter recently, it is possible that a small amount of sand found its way into the stand pipe while filling the filter. Once it blows into the pool, the problem should stop. If it continues, you might have a cracked lateral inside the filter.

The next time I vacuum (probably in a couple of days), I'll know.
I was reading on the forums about replacing the laterals and I came across a couple of things that I had questions about:

1) My manual (Intex) clearly said to add some sand, then fill about halfway with water, and then add the remaining sand. However, I read on here to add water first, THEN add the sand (so yes, I worry I've cracked one or more laterals).

2) Where can I get laterals for an Intex filter? They don't have those listed to buy separate on their site.

Although the laterals are fairly delicate, they usually don't just crack from adding sand, especially when they are new. I think its more likely that you got a little sand in the stand pipe, and once it blows out, the problem will go away.

As for finding parts, I have no idea who would have them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.