Started shocking pool today for the first time I have a Question.

May 5, 2012
Oconee, Georgia
25000 gallon vinyl pool IC40 Salt Gen

FC 4
TA 80
CH 250
CYA between 70 80 hard to tell

That was at 8 am this morning

12:15 Got CL to 24
1:15 CL 28
3 CL 23 added 2 gallons of bleach to bring back up to around 30

how much should I be losing in the middle of the day between checks?

A clean and clear pool would normally lose between 2-4 per day, but if your SLAMing, you must have water issues that your trying to clear, and there is no normal loss rate when dealing with organics and the sun. If you want an idea of whats going on with your water, see how much you lose overnight without the sun.

Just keep checking often enough to keep your FC at or above your SLAM target. If your not sure between 70 and 80 go with 80 and a FC level at or above 31 as much as possible

I'm just new here but if I read that correctly and you lost 5 ppm in less than 2 hours, that does sound like a problem, otherwise I would wonder if there was a problem with your cell. I'm sure the experts here will help you figure it out.

I'm just new here but if I read that correctly and you lost 5 ppm in less than 2 hours, that does sound like a problem

That is how I read it and it definitely is a problem. Follow the directions for performing an OCLT, making sure to turn your SWG off and not using anything that adds chlorine! My guess is that if you lost 5ppm in 2 hours, you will fail the OCLT and the next suggestion will be to remove your ladder and any lights you may have and continue to SLAM until you pass the tests.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.