Athens, GA - USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hopefully, next week, we will start construction on a deck around our AG pool. We are planning a two level design. A 10X12 area level with the pool then a 20X12 area about two steps down making an L shape. For the upper part, we had originally wanted the deck to come just below the pool top. But our contractor strongly recommended that we go above it. He said if we go below or even with the rail, then the neighbor's kid will almost certainly step or sit on the railing and mess it up. My concern is if I need to get under there for maintenance. The builder assured me that it is unlikely I will need to get under there anytime soon but if I did, it would be no problem to unscrew a couple of boards for access.

At this point, I am leaning towards taking the builder's advice. Do and of you guys have any words of wisdom on this?

[pictures to come]

I went under the top rail. I'm not going to fight with screws 5 or even 10 years down t the road AND, I'm getting to old to be crawling under the deck to pull the cover down through the deck and pool. This way, my husband and I can change our liner and put the cover on and I don't have to get under there for anything!

As far as the neighbor's kid, he wouldn't be swimming if he were standing on my top rails after repeated warnings not to.

They started the framing today! I can't wait!

Casey, We are going over the rail. I did not really think about the pool cover (Still need to get one too!). Hopefully it will not be a pain to put on with the deck in the way. How is the borating going? I have been reading about it but think I might wait until I have some real pool experience before I try to borate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.