Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New guy from Indiana

1. Back To Top    #1

New guy from Indiana

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you guys know that I love your forums.

I am not a pool owner as of yet but we are getting close. The builder is coming out Saturday to give us a quote on a BG 20x40 vinyl. I hope to become a lifetime member if this all pans out.

I have already learned much about pools on this site and I am sure the learning will never end.

I do have a question. The guys that is giving us a quote has put in a pool for one of my friends. It looks very nice. At the corners the liner is not flat to the metal framing. It is tight but you can push the liner and it has a spring to it. Is this normal?
    Don
    Bonita Springs, FL

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New guy from Indiana

Welcome from another Indiana resident.

Are you talking about the liner at the top or below the water line? It should be tight to the surface below the water line, but above the water line there may be a little gap between the wall and the liner at the corners.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks JohnT

I was talking about above the water line. That answered my question. TFP ROCKS

I am in SW Indiana also. Ever heard of Elberfeld? It's about 15 mile north of Evansville.
    Don
    Bonita Springs, FL

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!

As John said, it's normal for the liner not to be on the wall in the corners above the waterline and for a couple of inches below it. Liners need to stretch into the pool or you'd end up with wrinkles , therefore they are made slightly smaller than the pool - -how much stretch you'll get out of a new liner is dependent upon the heat and sun exposure when you install the liner. That's why on 2 identical pools with identical liners, 1 will have the corners fit 'snug' and the other will have the gap you're talking about (the 'snug' one was installed on a warmer day or had full sun on it) The most important thing is not to have wrinkles!!

Again, welcome here, if you have more questions as the pool is being built or when you finally get to swim in it, just ask us and we'll help you

(I wish I could tell you my only Indiana experience - 1989 Dead show @ Deer Park, but this is a family site )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Waste,

Thanks for the great info. My friends pools was installed in the winter so that explains that. By the way, I have had some of those Deer Park days myself. 8)
    Don
    Bonita Springs, FL

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi Polish Pounder,

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome I "heart" Indiana!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome from Jeffersonville, Indiana! You won't regret finding this website, its awsome!
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Polish Pounder
    Waste,

Thanks for the great info. My friends pools was installed in the winter so that explains that. By the way, I have had some of those Deer Park days myself. 8)
    I hope that wasn't your wife or girlfriend :P 8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

10. Back To Top    #10

Glad you found us and are enjoying the site.

By getting started off right, you are going to save yourself lots of potential headaches.

Welcome!
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.