Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I think I know what was floating on top of my water.......

1. Back To Top    #1

I think I know what was floating on top of my water.......

no-see-ums! Got a better look today and they are EVERYWHERE. All over the sides of the pool crawling, flying, etc. All over the ladder, just everywhere. They are tiny.
    I guess I'll just have to learn to live with them......hope they don't stay around all summer though!

Here's a couple pics I took today....

and just for scale......

Anybody else have these all over??
    27' Round AGP, 17200 GAL, 2 HP/2 SPD Pump/Cartridge Filter.......BBB!

2. Back To Top    #2
    They look like little mayfly nymphs. Have you noticed any adult mayfly's around at night time? Turn on an outside light and see if they come out of the darkness.

dan
    21' Aqua-Leader AGP (10,200 gallons).
    Hayward cartridge filter and two speed pump.
    Aqua-Cal HeatWave 100k (HeatPump)
    Salt 3200ppm (in non-salt water pool)
    Borates 20ppm (slowly raising)
    Aqua-Rite SWG

3. Back To Top    #3
    Hmm, Mayfly, not sure what they look like?(I'll check on the web) These things are truly tiny. Much more tiny than they appear in the pic.
    There are literally hundreds everywhere.
    Thanks for the info, I'll check em out.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Okay, now I really think I know. I was reading over on theother forum (thepoolforum) and someone posted about weird, teeny, tiny tan bugs. Anyway, they called them "springtails" and what they described and posted pics of looks exactly like what I have. Also. apparently they like moist, damp areas and others noted they came out bad after rain or in the early spring when it was still damp and go away in the heat and dryness of summer. We just had a day or so of heavy rain andafter that is when I fisrt noticed them. They were not there before that. As a matter of fact, our ground is still somewhat damp from the rain the other day.

They mentioned that Dawn soap with water in a spray bottle will kill the so I'm going to try spraying that around the rim of my pool.

Creepy little buggers!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Weird, they have disappeared now. They came in abundance (ABUNDANCE!) after a day or two of rain. We've been dry here for 4-5 days and they have gone. None of the stuff floating on top...just nice clean water. None on the railings, etc. Hmmm, I'll have to see what happens next rain.
    Oh, and they could still be those mayflies. I did scoop out 2 adult ones from the pool a couple days ago. (or what looked like the pics I saw online of "mayflies" anyway)