Need Help - My Frustration Level is Nearing it's Boiling Point

Thanks again all, I welcome ongoing in put....VERY helpful!!

Day 3 continues, I think I'm getting very close....

Water continues to be very clear

1205pm Added 363 fl oz of 8.25% bleach

155pm 18.5 ppm FC 1.0
200pm Added 121 fl oz

340pm 17ppm CC 0.5
345pm Added 121 fl oz

705pm 18ppm CC is between 0.5 and 0.1, doing each drop = .5ppm to test the first drop is very nearly clear but still a tint of red, the second drop makes the sample very clear!
720pm added 121 fl oz of bleach

915pm FC 22ppm CC is again between 0.5 and 1.0ppm

Seems like I'm very close, we'll see what the morning brings.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a way to test CC with the Taylor K-2006 kit without first testing the FC? I'd like to test for CC with a 25ml sample but a 25ml sample to test FC during this process and I would have been out of drops a long time ago.

Thanks again

After an encouraging day yesterday, a disappointing start to day 4. I was hoping to pass the OCLT this morning, but it wasn't even close.

FC 22ppm last night as final test.

This morning, 8:00am FC 9.5ppm CC not quite 0.5 but not much over as the first drop comes very close to clear but a tint of pink still.

So, on we go, added 242 fl oz of my again nearly depleted bleach stock.

I have to ask again....is this normal for this process, this really seems like a lot of bleach. 22 jugs of 121 oz clorox bleach in less than 4 days seems like A LOT.

I need to buy more R-0871

It would be helpful if you would add your pool and equipment specs in your sig.

Good job, thanks :goodjob:

For the CYA, if it has been a week since adding, you can test. Otherwise, if it is dissolved, 'assume' it is in there and adjust FC levels accordingly.
If you think you have more than 40CYA, I suggest you use SLAM FC level of 20.

If you have lights, ladders, steps, etc. then all need to be pulled, cleaned and exposed to SLAM levels.
Did you get this cleaning done?

- - - Updated - - -

Are you backwashing/rinsing when the filter pressure rises 25% above clean pressure psi?

When is the last time the filter was deep-cleaned? http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/73192-Deep-Cleaning-a-Sand-Filter

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, seems normal. We will help you get this finished, but it really takes what it takes. Patience, grasshaapa

::epds::

If you think you have more than 40CYA, I suggest you use SLAM FC level of 20.

Did you get this cleaning done?

Are you backwashing/rinsing when the filter pressure rises 25% above clean pressure psi?

When is the last time the filter was deep-cleaned? http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/73192-Deep-Cleaning-a-Sand-Filter

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, seems normal. We will help you get this finished, but it really takes what it takes. Patience, grasshaapa

::epds::

Thanks

Only removable part I have (I believe, I do have a light but don't see that it's removable, it's a small LED) is ladder and I thoroughly cleaned it season opening and it's remained in the pool so it is being exposed to these chlorine levels.

I have not backwashed during the process as the filter pressure has really not risen, it does go up slightly right after I add chlorine but has been consistent throughout the process. Should I backwash just to do it even if not indicated as necessary?

Never deep-cleaned the filter, but the pool is only in it's 2nd full season (installed in Sept of 2012)

If this is normal I'll keep at it, feels like I'm getting closer at least.

Still going.......

I'll spare the details but the FC is being used throughout the day, can't pass an OCLT. CC is hovering around 0.59 and 0.96. Water is crystal clear. Hoping to swim 4th of July Weekend but hate to stop this process now to let chlorine levels lower to safe swim levels.

I don't think you'd lose that much by letting your FC drop just a bit below shock level so you can swim. You can safely swim right up to the shock level for your CYA.

Just bump it right back up to where it needs to be when you get out. I'd hate to miss a holiday of swimming especially with clear water...

Someone smack me if that's bad advice... :hammer: ;-)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What's your cya again? Check the cya chlorine chart and as long as 20 is at or slightly below your shock level according to the chart then yep. 20 is fine.

The chart is in pool school. I'd give the link but I'm on my phone and the forum doesn't show the same on this app.

It's under "handy reference".

I don't think you'd lose that much by letting your FC drop just a bit below shock level so you can swim. You can safely swim right up to the shock level for your CYA.

Just bump it right back up to where it needs to be when you get out. I'd hate to miss a holiday of swimming especially with clear water...

Someone smack me if that's bad advice... :hammer: ;-)
heh heh, that's good advice! Just make sure water is clear enough so you could see someone on the bottom. :snorkle:

What's your cya again? Check the cya chlorine chart and as long as 20 is at or slightly below your shock level according to the chart then yep. 20 is fine.

The chart is in pool school. I'd give the link but I'm on my phone and the forum doesn't show the same on this app.

It's under "handy reference".

LaMotte Color Pro Q 7 Pro measured CYA at 40 tonight. Need more reagent for the Taylor K-2006 test. CYA of 40 isn't on the SWG chart????

Sendsley, As a word of encouragement....... I have a little ole bitty pool of only 7200 gals. I had to SLAM my pool for 2 weeks. (some days I could have done a little better job but HEY a mans gotta work sometime.) Took me 3 nights to pass the OCLT when I was sooooo close. I am still fighting some staining and bloom attempts from the bottom of my wrinkled vinyl pool. Take heart you are fighting the GOOD fight and this system really works... The best part of this system is having the KNOWLEDGE of what to do and when to do it/ I will be having all 6 of my grandchildren over during this celebration of our independence and am really looking forward to it. Just make sure your FC is below SLAM level and you can see the bottom and then swim/party on!!!! Good Luck

Good news and bad news....

I won't give the detailed breakdown of the last few days but here are the highlights and a low light.

Yesterday morning we had passed the OCLT!! Loss of just 1ppm overnight CC below 0.5 (for the last few tests actually) however....the water was no longer crystal clear because of a mistake on my part. I was backwashing the day before and the hose burst near the filter so I had to quickly shut it off, in my anger and a bit of panic rather than simply leaving the pump off while I got a new hose I set it back to filter. So going from backwash to filter without rinsing (as I'm sure many of you know) is not good. Pool was again cloudy - not terrible and was clearing up quickly. But since the water was not crystal clear as it had been the few days prior to my backwashing mistake I wanted to keep SLAMing, assuming for just one more day. However, this morning we did NOT pass the OCLT, we were down 3ppm (13.5 last night to 10.5 this morning).

So ****, what now. Am I actually done (as I had passed the OCLT the morning of the 4th) and I'm good or do I need to keep going since I didn't pass this morning?

THANKS YET AGAIN

Sorry, but you will need to continue to slam until you pass the oclt again. It should not take long this time, maybe a day or two. Pumping dirty water back into the pool increased the chlorine demand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.