Above Ground Pool Liner Replacement - ran into problems with wrinkles

Oct 11, 2007
spartanburg, sc
Okay so I decided to tackle this liner replacement myself (with a friend). We followed some instructional videos and it looked easy enough. My sand floor was wrecked from the previous installation and a leak, so I had to add sand (12 bags play sand from home depot), mainly to build up my cove embankment. I smoothed out the sand floor the best I could.

I unwrapped the liner in the pool and centered. I hung the J-Hook liner on the lip of the rim and started smoothing out wrinkles. We used the shop-vac to suck out air, that worked great. However, as much as I tried and tried, there was one side of the pool that just had too much liner material, that I couldn't distribute around to other parts.

My first thought was that maybe I used too much sand, causing excess liner material. But I don't think so now. I think it's not exactly centered, meaning one side is stretched and the other side has droop.

I turned off the hose. Question.. Should I siphon out this water (2" or so) and start over? When the water fills in more, will it smooth out the excess? I don't know - this is beyond my comfort zone but I was trying to save a buck.

Thanks for the advice -
(also - it was close to 100 degrees today, in South Carolina, so that liner was super pliable).

This image shows the extra material in the liner.
avSWTee.png

D5VfaOr.png

If you run your hand from top to bottom, do you get excess liner, like pinching an inch for lack of a better term? If you do, shut the water off. You should be able to pull the bottom liner and distribute it elsewhere and pull some of that down. Its going to be work, but it can be done.

Keep us posted.

when you say, "can then be adjusted", what do you mean? It's a J-Hook liner so it has the pre-set overlap piece that hangs on the lip, also allowing the diamond pattern to be the same level from the top.. ?

thanks though for the comment.
My bad, I did not see the J bead part in the first post. I removed my comment to lessen the confusion.

Did you fill the pool? How does it look? Update please! :cool:

I drained the pool, folded up the liner on the sand floor, re-smoothed the sand, and re-positioned the liner. I also shoveled out some of the sand on one side before smoothing because it wasn't level - that was obvious from filling/draining. I'm headed out of town for the week of the 4th, so the liner is going to sit in the pool by itself. I'll update the post next week when I'm home after I fill. I think it's going to be just right now!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.