my pool filter runs well for an hour then bursts every time

Jun 14, 2014
Massachusetts
I have a Pentair FNS plus De filter. Its relatively new and never gave me trouble until now. It will run well for about an hour, very little if any leakage, then it will start shooting water out from the O ring. The pressure never gets that high (25 max) so I don't think its an air pressure buildup blowing the lid, and the O ring is so tight its hard to take the top half of the filter off after it bursts water. Any ideas?

Welcome to TFP!

Can you please add your pool details to your signature so we can be better suited to answer your question. We don't even know if this is an above ground or in ground filter.

Welcome! :wave:

The clamp is actually sort of V-shaped, so as you tighten it, it shrinks and crushes the O-ring, which makes the seal. If the O-ring is blowing out, the clamp must not be tight enough. Once you get the threads started, go around the ring and gently tap inwards on it with a rubber mallet or a block of wood. That will force the two halves of the shell closer together. Go all the way around, then try tightening the clamp some more. Keep doing that until you can get the thing screwed all the way together, to where the spring is actually compressed.
http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/FNSPlusOM.pdf page 3, figure 2

The O ring isn't blowing off, it is very tight. However all of a sudden after an hour without incident water bursts out from behind the O ring.

- - - Updated - - -

The O ring isn't blowing off, it is very tight. However all of a sudden after an hour without incident water bursts out from behind the still on O ring. Its a 38000 gallon inground pool. How do I put this in my signature?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, this has happened 3 separate times, I have cleaned the black gasket, made sure its uniform around the edges, tapped the sides, tightened as much as I could, everything to no avail.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.