Glycol based solar heating system

Azmp1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 20, 2012
Maryland
Getting some quotes before I decide to DIY the solar.... So I had one of the contractor come up and give me an estimate, I thought it was going to be a standard type solar, but turns out he only does closed loop glycol based system with glass/metal panels and metal piping, comes with its own circulating pump and the heater exchanger that's get plumbed into the system much like the regular heater would. The rest of the system is completely separate from the pool plumbing. Sounds expensive already, but nevertheless interesting. The guy says he does manly (and very many) of these systems for the home water heating, but also pools though not as much, but he claims that it works very well, if not better then the standard solar.
I've never seen or heard of these systems. Does anyone here run this type of system or have experience with them and can comment?

Thanks
Alex

They aren't nearly as efficient for pool use as more conventional pool panels. However, they can partly make up for that by heating home water when you aren't using them for the pool. If your primary interest is in heating the pool they are not at all competitive with more conventional systems. They only make sense when you have limited roof space and really want home water heating as well as pool heating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.