Start Up Chemicals

Welcome to TFP!:wave: You will need the following:
  1. Chlorine for sanitation (we recommend plain unscented liquid bleach)
  2. Stabilizer to add some CYA (look for 100% cyanuric acid on the ingredients list).
  3. Muriatic Acid or Washing Soda/Soda Ash. These products adjust pH (MA decreases it and Washing Soda/Soda Ash increase it) and will depend on your pH test results and your pool's tendency for pH drift - most pools have a tendency for pH to either drift up or down, usually on a consistent basis. Odds are that you will only need one of these products, so I would run an initial pH test and make sure the pH is in the 7's. Then continue to test it and note whether the tendency is for pH to drift up or down and then buy the appropriate product.
  4. Baking Soda - adjusts Total Alkalinity (TA). Note: Take care of the first three items before concerning yourself with TA.

Don't bother getting any shock-labeled products or algaecides.

You didn't mention what test kit you were getting. You will need one that tests the following:
  1. Chlorine - We recommend the FAS-DPD chlorine test which uses a powder plus liquid reagents
  2. pH
  3. CYA - this will determine the chlorine level you need to maintain - see http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock
  4. TA
  5. Calcium Hardness (CH)

Just a follow up to Bo's comment, while 100% CYA is ideal, anything over 95% is ok, just don't get the 50% stuff. Finding 97-99% is common

Ike

ps I assume from the way you phrased it, that this is an above ground vinyl pool

That kit gives you most of the tests you need, but it's chlorine test is not very good. It can only measure Total Chlorine and only to 5ppm. Getting a kit with an FAS-DPD test allows you to test Free Chlorine and Combined Chlorine up to 50ppm. Very helpful for diagnosing problems and preventing them from happening in the first place. Check out the TF-100 in my signature, it's what I use and love it!

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.