Jun 26, 2023
Southern Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all,

New guy here from S.E. Michigan, first post. Getting ready to hopefully have an operating pool in the next few days or so. Bought and installed a used 12x24 pool. Currently filling with hose. It came with a sand filter, of which I replaced the sand with new pool filter sand. Wondering what chemicals I should initially start with, and how much? I did search the site and couldn't find anything on starting up. I will be buying one of the recommended test kits so I can get help from this site. Thank you all for any advice.

Edit....pool test kit won't be here till next week, being a holiday weekend. Is there a a cheap test from local pool store I can do to get things rolling?

Last edited:
Wondering what chemicals I should initially start with, and how much?
A very simple start-up sequence for you would be as follows:
1 - Add granular stabilizer for a CYA target of at least 30, perhaps even 40 if it's warm in your area.
2 - Add 2 ppm worht of liquid chlorine on day one. After that, keep the FC balanced to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels to prevent algae.
3 - Keep the pH anywhere between 7.2 - 7.8. When it gets too high, lower it with muriatic acid.

To help with dosage amounts, use the PoolMath APP's "Effects of Adding".

See our Pool Care Basics which has several great articles about recommended levels, chemicals, and much, much more. If you have any questions, let us know. Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Reactions: Rost-Lufer
This may help you when adding stabilizer .....

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. After soaking for about 20-30 minutes, squeeze the sock often to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

As for a simple test kit, you can check Walmart's pool section for a simple HTH 5 or 7-way drop kit, but that won't cover everything you need for very long. Never use test strips or local free testing. Those are horrible. A TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C is your best bet and better value.

As for a simple test kit, you can check Walmart's pool section for a simple HTH 5 or 7-way drop kit, but that won't cover everything you need for very long. Never use test strips or local free testing. Those are horrible. A TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C is your best bet and better value.

Do I need to add any of the options to the test kits, or just buy test kit as is.

A very simple start-up sequence for you would be as follows:
1 - Add granular stabilizer for a CYA target of at least 30, perhaps even 40 if it's warm in your area.
2 - Add 2 ppm worht of liquid chlorine on day one. After that, keep the FC balanced to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels to prevent algae.
3 - Keep the pH anywhere between 7.2 - 7.8. When it gets too high, lower it with muriatic acid.

To help with dosage amounts, use the PoolMath APP's "Effects of Adding".

See our Pool Care Basics which has several great articles about recommended levels, chemicals, and much, much more. If you have any questions, let us know. Welcome to TFP!
Will granular stabilizer be labeled as such?

Do I need to add any of the options to the test kits, or just buy test kit as is.
That depends. The Taylor K-2006C does not come with a speed/smart stir device, so you may wish to get one of those. They are very helpful. If you will be using a salt water generator, you'll need to test salt with a Taylor K-1766. If you go to the TFTESTKITS website, you'll see a variety of TF-series kits that include one or both of those items along with other nice features. In general, the TF-series kits are a better value.

So you have choices. :crazy:

Hope that helps.

Will granular stabilizer be labeled as such?
Yep. You'll want liquid chlorine as well when the pool is full and more if you plan on using it to chlorinate. Pool is similar in size to mine, I just filled mine just over 2 weeks ago, you can/follow see/follow what I did in pool logs under profile. Get the pool math app as well.

Using pool math but still unsure of a few things. Are my levels at "zero" as it's being filled from a garden hose? Pool math is telling me 22oz. of bleach and 45 Oz. cya. Just doesn't seem right. Not exactly sure how to plug in numbers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not exactly sure how to plug in numbers.
New water has no CYA, so that number will be 0 in the APP. Then you can factor in the amount of stabilizer to increase the CYA to 30.

Same concept for chlorine or anything else, but your test results may show something already in the water as opposed to zero. So you load that current/starting number and factor in the dosage amount to reach your desired goal. Hope that makes sense.

New water has no CYA, so that number will be 0 in the APP. Then you can factor in the amount of stabilizer to increase the CYA to 30.

Same concept for chlorine or anything else, but your test results may show something already in the water as opposed to zero. So you load that current/starting number and factor in the dosage amount to reach your desired goal. Hope that makes sense.
The starting part is confusing. If I'm going for 45 cya, should I put that number in for the FC, even though cya/fc are essentially at 0? Chlorine I bought is 10%. Pool is 7500 gallons. If I want the cya at 45, pool math is telling me to add 58oz. of the 10% chlorine when I plug in 0 for chlorine level and 45 for the cya level.

The starting part is confusing.
I'll try to help. I'm in PoolMath right now and set my pool to 7,500 gallons like yours.

Then I went to "Effects of Adding" and selected "Dry Stabilizer". There I can select ounces or pounds. Then I enter an estimate amount to see how much it raises the CYA. 2.5 lbs increases the CYA by 40.

For the FC, same thing. I select "Bleach" as the chemical, then update the percentage area to 10%, then entered an amount of bleach. I can see that 0.5 gallons will increase the FC by 6.7 ppm.

Does that help?

I'll try to help. I'm in PoolMath right now and set my pool to 7,500 gallons like yours.

Then I went to "Effects of Adding" and selected "Dry Stabilizer". There I can select ounces or pounds. Then I enter an estimate amount to see how much it raises the CYA. 2.5 lbs increases the CYA by 40.

For the FC, same thing. I select "Bleach" as the chemical, then update the percentage area to 10%, then entered an amount of bleach. I can see that 0.5 gallons will increase the FC by 6.7 ppm.

Does that help?
A little yes. I was using the actual tab for FC and CYA and plugging in numbers there, not using the 'Effects of Adding'. Your posts above didn't make 100% sense to me, because I wasnt using the same tab in pool math, but now they do. Running out to buy some stabilizer now and hopefully adding tonight! Pool almost full.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.