how to keep swimming bugs out?

You need to stop dousing your pool with algaecide and do NOT add copper to the pool.

If you want to get serious about your pool water and the critters living in it, then order the recommended test kits (TF100) Test Kit Comparison and read the educational material provided to you in Pool School.

Yes definitely going to try and get a taylor kit this weekend. PH was still at 7.8 so i added muriatic acid again last night. Looking so forward to getting the water right to keep these bugs out! Im so frustrated with this. Should I pick up some bleach and backing soda too and stop using the tablets (BBB method)? Guess i'll give the algae guard a break for a few days too. Right now i have to raise chlorine to shock level to kill these things, but that still doesnt keep them from staying away when they hit the water. Here are a couple more pics from just one day of bugs i vacuumed. There must be 1000 of em.

30jjyif.jpg

11id9b5.jpg

That is almost scary the amounts you are getting. Where do they come from? I have not seen any of those in our pool before and hope we don't. I know the wife and kids would be out until its fixed.

ps.. I recommend you go a head and at least get started with the bleach. Once you get the test kit and your numbers in check, you will be happy you did. Just post a full reading of your tests and the great group of people on this site will get you headed in the right direction.

I would add borates to this pool and keep a higher FC level. The borates could possibly help you more than anything. I would wait on a TF100 test kit and also order the borate test strips from tftestkits.net when you order your new test kit.

That is an outrageous amount of backswimmers to have! :shock:

I would add pirates to this pool and keep a higher FC level. The borates could possibly help you more than anything. I would wait on a TF100 test kit and also order the borate test strips from tftestkits.net.

That is an outrageous amount of backswimmers to have! :shock:

Yeah, I saw it before you edited it to borates... I was going to ask where it the best place to buy pool pirates! LOL!

Yeah, I saw it before you edited it to borates... I was going to ask where it the best place to buy pool pirates! LOL!

I was just telling my future DIL that I hate teaching my new phone my language! The stuff it throws in there is outrageous! :mrgreen:

Yes definitely going to try and get a taylor kit this weekend. PH was still at 7.8 so i added muriatic acid again last night. Looking so forward to getting the water right to keep these bugs out! Im so frustrated with this. Should I pick up some bleach and backing soda too and stop using the tablets (BBB method)? Guess i'll give the algae guard a break for a few days too. Right now i have to raise chlorine to shock level to kill these things, but that still doesnt keep them from staying away when they hit the water. Here are a couple more pics from just one day of bugs i vacuumed. There must be 1000 of em.

30jjyif.jpg

11id9b5.jpg

Holy Cow! I have had a couple of those....but that is a full on infestation!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i know its ridiculous right? Maybe a pirate is what i need to keep em out! **** if i knew a salt water system would fix this i would get one. Maybe Leslie's or academy would have a good test kit? I know i have Dawn at my house. I'm willing to try almost anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.