Greetings from Swampville!

My guess/hope is that it is dead algae. I like the idea of making it go to waste as in out of the pool and filter. Just remember that removing/adding water will mess with your numbers. Keep an eye on your tests.

Now go enjoy your clear pool! Float on a raft with a drink in your hand. Do not worry about vacuuming except for maybe once a day to get out the dead stuff you find.

Kim
Thank you for your sweet thoughts. We have a petri dish going, so that should tell us. It sure looks like dead grayish. Perhaps, leftover from the last cycle before we changed sand and cleaned the filter. Thanks again Kim! It's been 10 weeks since the pool company first started and I have been slamming here with you folks since early June. Hoping we figure it out, as the filter is off and nothing is showing up again. It dissipates in the water in the petri dish when we stir it, then reappears when it settles.

I wonder what it will do overnight in the dish? Have you tried to rub some on a white paper towel or coffee filter? Will you leave the filter off overnight to see what happens? Let us know!

Kim
It is still in the dish, with no change! Definitely must have been dead stuff that either was a remnant from the old return line or was too small and sneaking through. We now only have small amounts of pollen and a few leaves/bugs! I have still not added chlorine. Our FC was 10.5 this am, so letting it sneak down a bit more. The new sand is doing an amazing job. Very thrilled! 10 long weeks, but better than swimming in slime for years! We finally have a trouble free pool!

I want to again say thank you for this site, and to make sure that if people take over a pool in a new home, to change out the sand if you are having problems. We found the broken stand pipe, less than half the amount that was recommended for that filter, and it was the wrong kind of sand, large, which let small particles and probably algae, etc through.
14616569413_687fbfddd2_z.jpg

It is hard to tell that is the same pool! AWESOME job!

Did you paint the picket fence also? You rock!

Kim
Thanks Kim! Here's my under construction thread. We have painted and I just installed a gate behind the diving board end. Lot's more gardening, but it has come a long way just since April. :) The photo there is from 3 years ago, when the house was abandoned and the pool was in it's dormant phase, 2 years before this spring (Pool was not used, attended, covered etc for 3 years). By the time we moved in this January, there were so many thistles, burdocks and stinging nettles, as well as other woody weeds that you could not get around the pool. I don't think we got a picture of it that bad or last summer when it was an oozing bubbling green swamp. It took several days with my husband and I weed pulling, whacking and round up. Lots of weeding still to do, but we at least have a good start on the landscaping at this point.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/78098-Ugly-Duckling-Pool-Reno-in-Maine

I read your other thread. WOW! I only wish you had a picture of the really before so you can look back and grin at all that you have done! The tiles---------I would never had though they would come that clean/nice! SWEET!

Kim

Thanks Beens and Kim! Kim, pressure washing and painting and weeding really did huge things. I splurged for the double chaise for my birthday and the yellow chairs were a housewarming gift to me from myself. lol I really have NO MORE MONEY, so it will be sweat and raw hands for a while!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.