Black gunk at water line between tiles...

Xexys

May 11, 2014
Mesa, Arizona
...right in the grout lines. It brushes off easily, even rubbing with my fingers gets it off. Wife just looks at me with a disgusting look as I brush it off saying, "it's just going to come back like it always has"!

I inherited this pool when I remarried. So, for three years she's been giving me the evil eye when I brush the waterline off. And she's right, it does come back within days. Since finding this site, I've learned so much. Now I just need to know what I'm dealing with here. Latest pool readings are from yesterday morning as I've not had a chance to test since then because I was putting salt in to get those numbers up and didn't get up before sun up.

FC-5
CC-0.0
PH-7.5
CH-300
TA-110
CYA-80
Salt-3200

Pool is clear as all get out. The black line does not continue on the wall of pebbletec, just the grout between the tiles along waterline and some of the tiles have just a little bit of black gunk extending from the grout onto them as well but for the most part, it's really concentrated on the grout.

What do I have here? Is this black algae?

It's probably just plain algae. Get an empty windex bottle or something and fill it with bleach. Scrub the stuff with a plastic brush - a nail brush, carwash brush, whatever - and rinse it with straight bleach. Do that for a couple days and it should stay gone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.