How to cover an intex pool for winter

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
I tried covering the intex pool I had last year with a tarp and using 10 bungees with milk bottles filled with water. That didn't work well. The water pooled so badly in the middle I had to poke holes in it just to drain it so I didn't weigh down the sides. And for big snow storms of 10" I just took the cover off because I didn't want the added weight.

Any suggestions for a 14' pool?

I see they sell heavy duty covers but I feel like I will run into the same water pooling in the center problem.

I saw using a tarp bungeed with cinderblocks, may do that.

Or I saw someone suggest just leave it uncovered? I may do that and empty and refill in the spring when I'm ready to go in it. Filling my 3500 galloon pool is about $20 based on my water bill.

I have a couple of cheap mesh covers I use. I ran rope in a star pattern from post to post, tightened enough to support the covers, and used water filled bleach jugs to secure the sides.

Admittedly, tree droppings did get through the cover, so still had a bit of minor vacuuming to do when I opened.

This method kept the mesh out of the water, and the largest debris stayed on top. Held up to 1/2" of ice followed by 6" of snow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.