New to pools and lost on what chemicals to add

Jun 2, 2014
Atlanta, ga
I need soooo much help. I just purchased a home with a pool. I've never owned a pool. I just ordered my test kit TF100. My chlorine level seems really high and my CYA does as well. I'm a little worried at this point. What do I do? Here are my test results.

FC - free chlorine 8.5 ppm
CC = Combined Chloramines 1
TC= total chlorine 9.5
PH 7.5
TA - Total alkalinty 130
CH - calcium hardness 250 ppm
CYA - cyanuric acid...aka stabilizer/conditioner 100 plus maybe 140

Welcome to TFP!

Assuming CYA is 140, the minimum FC level is 11, so don't worry about your FC level being too high. FC is either too low or just marginally acceptable (depending on the actual CYA level).

The high CYA level is a significant problem. I strongly recommend replacing water to get CYA down to around 60.

Welcome to the forum. You are soooooooo far ahead of most by already ordering a GREAT test kit. If your cya is truly that high, you'll have to replace water. Drain and refill say a third at a time. Retest after circulating awhile after refill to make sure new is well mixed in. CC of 1 isn't good and you'll need to wait on the kit to do a proper SLAM on it.

If you have a party coming up I would certainly start draining and refilling right away, just remember refilling tends to go a lot slower. Depending on your soil conditions it can be dangerous to fully drain a pool as it can "float" out of the ground if you have a high water table. Unless you live in a very wet soil location draining 2-3 feet at a time should be safe, although it is best not to expose the bottom.

Ike

Were the test results in your first post from your TF-100 kit?

If so, did you do the dilution test for your CYA since it is over 100? It involves diluting your pool water 50/50 with tap water then using that to test. You multiply the results x 2. That way you can find out how much over 100 you are and get a good idea of how much total water you have to replace. You'll still do it in stages.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/24188-Extended-Test-Kit-Directions Post #8 explains the dilution test for figuring out CYA over 100. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.