A slight "shock"

So, going back to the light (to check as the electrician requested), do I need to drain the water to a level below the light? I have never had the light out.

If it is a utility problem, I have a friend that works for the power company.

I think to test the light itself you should be able to disconnect power, then simply unscrew the 12'oclock screw and pull it up on the deck. There should be about 4-5 feet of cable coiled behind the light to enable you to do this. However, since you said the problem is still there with the light breaker off, the light does not seem to be the problem.

To test the light niche, according to the article posted earlier you do need to drain below the niche. Perhaps someone knows of a way it can be done withour draining?

ft.

I think to test the light itself you should be able to simply unscrew the 12'oclock screw and pull it up on the deck. There should be about 4-5 feet of cable coiled behind the light to enable you to do this. However, since you said the problem is still there with the light breaker off, the light does not seem to be the problem.

To test the light niche, according to the article posted earlier you do need to drain below the niche. Perhaps someone knows of a way it can be done withour draining?

ft.

Agreed, but it's like a tech support ticket in the IT world...your help won't move to the next step until you rule out what they have asked you to rule out...Thanks

I have somewhat an issue like what's in this thread.I bought a house one year ago and I don't think pool is bonded.If my concrete deck is dry I read 0 volts water to deck.If I splash water on concrete and test that I get .07 volts.If I turn off my pump and do the same test wet concrete deck and pool I read .03.I have my light disconnected.Any thoughts on this?
thanks,Tom

Re: A slight "shock"

That test will not be overly helpful. We know you have a defective bonding grid, at least the deck to the water. The question is the source of the current. I have my doubts it's metal in the pool. Try shutting off all the breakers for the pool. see if the voltage gradient remains.

Just confirmed that with both breakers off, one lead in the ground and one in the skimmer, I get .87-.88V. With one lead in the skimmer and one lead on a wet deck, I get .5V.

- - - Updated - - -

Understood - btw I should have written to turn off power to light first, before unscrewing it... will try to correct above.

fr.

Oh yeah, I would do that regardless

Well, I have had 3 different electricians look at this issue. They have all said they don't see an issue with anything and that we shouldn't be feeling anything at just 1.2 volts. But we had some friends over this weekend and they felt it too. We even get the same voltage with the main turned off.

So, now I don't know what to do. I have a friend at the power company that is supposed to have someone come out and check their stuff. Other than that, I'm at a loss...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I doubt a large electrician would feel something. But sensitivity to electrical shock increases the lower your mass. In English that means kids feel it first. And some people are just more sensitive than others. Also if it is coming from the utility transformer nearby the voltage increases and decreases depending on the load on the transformer. So if the electrician is testing in the morning at 10 am on a weekday when no one is home with no AC running, that may yield 1.2 volts. But come 6 pm with everyone in the neighborhood home and all the AC running then the leakage from the transformer will be significantly greater.

You need to fix the bonding around your pool. Make sure you have a water bond and a deck bond. I'm assuming the problem comes up when folks enter or leave the water, especially leave? Correct.

You need to fix the bonding around your pool. Make sure you have a water bond and a deck bond. I'm assuming the problem comes up when folks enter or leave the water, especially leave? Correct.

Yes. Basically any time you have contact with the water and concrete at the same time. I have mentioned the bonding issue to each electrician and each electrician has shot me down.

I know there was a link to something to bond the water. Do you know what I'm talking about? I will start there with the water bonding (since it's the easiest) and go from there. I know for a fact that there was a bonding grid laid out when it was installed because I helped with the dirt work and can remember constantly tripping over the copper that was attached to the diving board legs and pool ladder connections. Obviously, I know that could have broken at some point during concrete install

Tell the electrician to look at NEC 680.26 That's the electrical code citation for swimming pool bonding. Its not simple and is not clear to folks who don't do this everyday.

Below is illustrated guide for pool electrical intended for training electricians.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjrkf-Uqt_NAhUB5yYKHSMGAewQFgghMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mikeholt.com%2Fdownload.php%3Ffile%3DPDF%2FSwimming_Pools_and_Spas_2014NEC.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHli4CC4UMdxP1Gtws655OlTlceYQ

I suspect your water is not bonded below are links to two water bonds (the top two):

Amazon.com: water bonding

Use number 8 solid copper wire to connect to the wire under your deck (you may have to dig around for where it comes out of the deck). Use split bolt clamps to connect.

Blackburn 4-8 Solid Split Bolt Main Connector (Case of 5)-4H-B1-5 - The Home Depot

Tell the electrician to look at NEC 680.26 That's the electrical code citation for swimming pool bonding. Its not simple and is not clear to folks who don't do this everyday.

Below is illustrated guide for pool electrical intended for training electricians.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjrkf-Uqt_NAhUB5yYKHSMGAewQFgghMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mikeholt.com%2Fdownload.php%3Ffile%3DPDF%2FSwimming_Pools_and_Spas_2014NEC.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHli4CC4UMdxP1Gtws655OlTlceYQ

I suspect your water is not bonded below are links to two water bonds (the top two):

Amazon.com: water bonding

Use number 8 solid copper wire to connect to the wire under your deck (you may have to dig around for where it comes out of the deck). Use split bolt clamps to connect.

Blackburn 4-8 Solid Split Bolt Main Connector (Case of 5)-4H-B1-5 - The Home Depot

Will do. I'll update on the results. I know exactly where the wire comes out because I have actually tried putting a copper bar in the water that was attached to a number 8 solid bare copper wire and attached it to this wire...still feel the shock. So would that have bonded the water and tells me that the issue is something else?

I also found a good site to learn more about grounding versus bonding from a guy named Mike Holt.

So I closed our pool yesterday and this dang shock is still there. I have had 3 electricians (1 that doesn't work on pools, 1 that doesn't work on pools but is really good, and 1 that does work for a pool company) and they all told me the same thing. You shouldn't even feel the shock at those levels and that it isn't anything to worry about. They checked everything and said they couldn't find anything wrong. The problem is, I don't care what they say, we CAN feel the shock and it's not supposed to be doing that. The major problem is, I don't know what else to do. Every electrician I call over says the same thing. I'm tired of paying the money for them to come do testing, and tell me the exact same thing the last guy told me. One guy even said that it has to be a power company issue and to have them check their stuff. I told this to a friend that works at the power company and he said they would check it but he thought it was HIGHLY unlikely that this was the issue. I really don't think they ever even checked.
I don't know what to do at this point. Next year my little girl will be going on 2 years old and will want so spend a lot of time in the pool. I just don't know if it's safe...

I will admit that I haven't read through this whole thread but I have a question. When you are reaching into the skimmer, where are your feet and hands and knees?

On the concrete. Only feel the shock (it seems) when barefoot. Once in the pool water, you never feel it. It's getting in and out...basically any time you are touching the concrete and water at the same time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.