Full drain and refill?

Xexys

May 11, 2014
Mesa, Arizona
I'm wondering how often I should fully replace my pool water? Asking around at the pool stores and the manufacturer of my pool, everybody says I should drain and refill the whole pool every 4 years. If my numbers are all within range, i.e. TA, CH, and CYA, how often should I do a full drain and refill? Do I even have to do a full refill?

I see quite a few threads on pools that are very dirty, algae infested and so on that are getting told to SLAM. If a person even moves into a house and finds a very green pool, still the SLAM process is advised. Wouldn't it be easier for a person in a situation that doesn't know how old the water is to just drain and start over?

I find myself at the 4 year mark and my pool is sparkling clear and I think why fix something that isn't broke? I guess I want to find out from the experts on this fantastic forum if I ever really have to drain if my numbers are in range?

There is no set time at which you need to replace water. It has to do with how quickly things like CH and CYA levels go up. It may be that in your area CH tends to go up, so you tend to need to replace water because of that, but if CH does not actually go up, there is no need to replace water.

Some people on the forum are able to manage CH levels up to, or a little over, 1,000 before replacing water. Others like to replace water at levels somewhat below that, as the amount of work to maintain the pool goes up as CH goes up.

In any case, if your levels are good then there is no reason to replace water. Since you didn't post your levels, I can't make any specific recommendation.

Yes, I'm sorry for the levels. Still waiting for my TF-100 as there was a mix up with my order and it won't be until the 29th that I will receive my test kit. I'm having to replace my SWG too so I will be able to stabilize my pool then. I do know my CH is 320, TA is 80, FC is 0, CYA is 40 and I'm replenishing FC with bleach everyday until I can get the test kit. As for now, I'm relying on test strips to get me through. SWG has been broke for some time and I just ordered a new cell and it will arrive the same day as the test kit.

If those numbers are accurate, lets just say they are for fun, you shouldn't have to replace any water. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.