Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many hours?

1. Back To Top    #1

How many hours?

Now that it's hot outside, how many hours a day do you run your filter. Right now I'm on a split schedule, 4-7 AM / 2-5 PM.
    Thanks
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How many hours?

We run our's 24/7-365. Might be wasteful, but we love the sparkling water. Later, Calvin.
    15 x 26 Sharkline
    2.5 HP Dual Speed Pump
    200 Sq. Ft. cartridge filter

3. Back To Top    #3

24/7 ... till gas hits $5 a gal then I might cut it back some, which could be soon the way things are going.
    20x40 30,000 gal IG Liner, Pentair II Sand

4. Back To Top    #4

24/7 here too....
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Any chance of giving us those oft asked for chem #s

If your water is good and your not loosing excessive fc each day (or getting cc) then things are fine as they are 8) I've always heard the basic rule of thumb (picture of thumb included here- - ) is to run the pump 1 hour per 10 degrees F that the daytime high is averaging (ie. 8 hours if the temps are in the 80s) - however, more or less may be needed or enough depending on your pool and local climate!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

About 12 hours here. But my pool is only a small 15' round. (Does size make a difference though?)
    15' ROUND, 52" AG
    Newbie at pool ownership!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Cassiopeia
    About 12 hours here. But my pool is only a small 15' round. (Does size make a difference though?)
    Of course Size Matters.....

I run my filter on low speed 24/7. Too lazy to turn it on and off and too much of a procrastinator to go out and buy a timer....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Interesting that so many of you run 24/7. I always thought in the summer that's the norm. I had mine set originally by PB from 8a-2p. Then the plaster guys came out and did some work, water was cloudy and I increased it to 8-8. PB was over this morning and saw that setting and said you don't need to run it that long. Does it have to do w/ the type of filter? It's Sta-Rite cartridge, 1 speed
    No Cover Charge
    17,000 gal IG w/ raised 8' spillover spa, 3M plaster, 10' stainless rain WF, Pentair SAM lights, Sta-Rite Sys3 cart. filter, Intellichlor SWG, 400kBTU Gas Heater, Paramount IF Cleaners, ET-8 Wireless Remote

9. Back To Top    #9

The ideal run time depends on a number of factors and can vary quite a bit from pool to pool. The most important question is the relative size of the pump and the pool. Large pumps on small pools don't need much run time. Small pumps on large pools need lots of run time. Warmer temperatures need longer run times. More people swimming each day also requires longer run times.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

I ran my pump 24/7 last year and racked up some big elec bills. I decided to try less time this year. I'm running mine for 6.5 hours a day, which according to my filter manual, is enough to turn my pool over once. My water is staying crystal clear, so that's good enough for me.
    ~30000 GAL In-Ground 26'x50' Kidney Shaped Pool
    Hayward EC-75 DE Filter w/1.5HP Hayward SuperPump
    daily user of JasonLion's Poolcalculator
    (12) 2x10 SunGrabber Solar Panels...now if only there was some sun to shine on them!

11. Back To Top    #11

6 to 8 hrs. per day, sometimes broken into two runs (when I can remember to do it!) :P
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

I have the Sta-Rite filter and a 2hp pump. I adhere to the one hour per 10 degrees in air temp with a max of 8 hours in the summer and 4 hours in the winter. I keep FC between 3 and 4 and adjust SWG run time seasonally. All my other numbers are fine with the exception of CH.
    20K inground gunite w/ Aqua Logic automation and chlorination Sta-Rite 400 K natural gas heater and cartridge filter 2 HP pump 1.5 HP spa bubbler for spillover spa 1 HP dedicated Letro Legend cleaner
    H2O: two parts Heart and one part Obsession. ~Author Unknown

13. Back To Top    #13

I have mine set at 14 hours a day for one turnover. Works for me.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

14. Back To Top    #14

9.5 hours .
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

15. Back To Top    #15

I run mine for about 9 hours a day. My pool is a 17,000 gallon gunite. My water is "sparkling". I just don't think that I need to run it anymore than that.
    17,000 gallon roman shaped gunite pool-AquaRite goldline SWG

16. Back To Top    #16

8am-8pm pump time with Polaris from about 9-11
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

17. Back To Top    #17

8-12 hours depending on the heat. It been uper 80s lately so 10-12 hours is the norm for me and I have a 16,000 gal with a 1.5hp pump. Gets about 2 turns on 12 hours when I ran the math. Perfectly clear!
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/reindeerboy/

18. Back To Top    #18

Just like Teppy...9 hours/day: 11AM - 1PM, 4PM - 9PM, and 4AM - 6AM. Water temp mid- to upper 80's.

And I think Waste's "1 hour for each 10 degrees" is a great rule of thumb! My run times throughout the year have tracked well with the "rule."
    Sandy

15,600 gallon, screened 15 x 30 sport pool with 6 x 8 baja shelf, IG plaster (Diamondbrite??), Hayward cartridge filter, 1-HP Hayward pump, Hayward/EUS Mark VI heat pump, Polaris 280, AquaRite SWCG

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The ideal run time depends on a number of factors and can vary quite a bit from pool to pool. The most important question is the relative size of the pump and the pool. Large pumps on small pools don't need much run time. Small pumps on large pools need lots of run time. Warmer temperatures need longer run times. More people swimming each day also requires longer run times.
    Which leads me to my next question.......

The other day I was on a different pool forum (sorry ) and read where someone was posting that you should NEVER purchase too big of a pump for a small pool. And that a 1 HP pump was WAY too big for a 15-18' AG pool. Well....I feel awful that I didn't find THIS forum before I bought my pool package, and I could have done more research. Because I have a 15' round with a 1 HP pump with cartridge filter. And now I'm wondering if the pool place didn't sell it to me just to make money, without giving me better advice. We DID upgrade the pump that came with the package, which I forget what it was...maybe 1/2 HP? Anyway, reading that post scared me. Will that pump harm my pool in any way? Was I really stupid to get the bigger pump? We just thought, the bigger the better.

Any thoughts or advice? Our water thus far (only had our pool a week and a half now) is crystal clear and we have had NO problems. I've been running the pump approx. 12 hours.

15' ROUND, 52" AG
    Newbie at pool ownership!

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Cassiopeia
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Which leads me to my next question.......

The other day I was on a different pool forum (sorry ) and read where someone was posting that you should NEVER purchase too big of a pump for a small pool. And that a 1 HP pump was WAY too big for a 15-18' AG pool. Well....I feel awful that I didn't find THIS forum before I bought my pool package, and I could have done more research. Because I have a 15' round with a 1 HP pump with cartridge filter. And now I'm wondering if the pool place didn't sell it to me just to make money, without giving me better advice. We DID upgrade the pump that came with the package, which I forget what it was...maybe 1/2 HP? Anyway, reading that post scared me. Will that pump harm my pool in any way? Was I really stupid to get the bigger pump? We just thought, the bigger the better.

Any thoughts or advice? Our water thus far (only had our pool a week and a half now) is crystal clear and we have had NO problems. I've been running the pump approx. 12 hours.

It doesn't sound like 1hp is too big. Consider an 8 or 10 hour run time, to save on elec? My SIL had a 1.5 hp 2 speed pump on her 18 pool for years. No issues whatsoever.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast