High speed vs. Low when opening to a green/brown pool?

Irbyka76

May 20, 2019
Greenville, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just opened to deep green, almost brown colored water today and started SLAM, but the filter pressure builds quicker than I'm used to since it's a lot greener than I usually open to.

I know im supposed to be running pump 24/7 right now, but does the speed actually matter so long as it's running and im manually adding my liquid chlorine(no SWG)? Does more speed=more turnover=more dirty water passing through sand filter in the same given amount of time thus cleaning water/requiring backwash quicker?

I specifically worry about overtaxing the motor while I'm sleeping if the pressure builds in just a few hours to the point where I'd normally backwash but Im asleep. Should I slow it down just at night until it becomes closer to normal and then resume in-season schedule?

I don’t think the speed matters. You can also turn the pump off until morning if you feel concerned. The goal is to keep your chlorine at slam level.

Reactions: Irbyka76
If the filter still clogs too quickly, do you have a multi-port valve wherein you can bypass the filter at night but still add chlorine, vacuum, etc.?

I suggest you run the pump on High 24/7 until you complete the SLAM. That's what the SLAM article requires.

Last edited:
Reactions: kul and Irbyka76
As duraleigh indicates, your sand filter should have a multiport valve. At night, set the multiport valve to recirculate. This allows water from the pump to bypass the sand in the filter. In the morning, you can reset the MPV to filter when you're available to check pressures throughout the day.

Reactions: kul and Irbyka76
If the filter still clogs too quickly, do you have a multi-port valve wherein you can bypass the filter at night but still add chlorine, vacuum, etc.?

I suggest you run the pump on High 24/7 until you complete the SLAM. That's what the SLAM article requires.
Thanks and yes I do. I'll set to recirculate overnight.

Reactions: kul
As duraleigh indicates, your sand filter should have a multiport valve. At night, set the multiport valve to recirculate. This allows water from the pump to bypass the sand in the filter. In the morning, you can reset the MPV to filter when you're available to check pressures throughout the day.
Got it and will do, thanks!

Reactions: kul