Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Green spa

I've been on BBB since start up of our new pool on Memorial Day. Everything has been perfect until yesterday, noticed a slight green tint in the spa. The spa and pool water recirculates through a waterfall so it's all the same. Checked CL and PH and all was close, added a bit of CL and acid to bring things back in line. Tonight same thing - green tint in the spa water and swimmers complaining of burning eyes, so did a complete test.

FC 4.5
    CC 0
    TC 4.5
    pH 7.5
    TA 80
    CH 150
    CYA 35
    Temp 88

26,000 gallons

I added 15 lbs of Leslie's Calcium Hardness Plus, and 48 oz (by volume) of baking soda. I've been bringing the CH up slowly over the past few weeks, although haven't added any in about two weeks before tonight. All the numbers except CH seem OK to me, but wondering why the green tint and red eye?????
    Polaris 280 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green spa

Just my oppinion, on mine I don't feel the spa gets circulated with the pool water that well. My equipment is close to the pool. Every couple of weeks I turn off the jets and drain the spa back into the pool. I run the pump on low speed and switch the suction side valves from pool to spa. Then switch back and turn returns from pool to spa to refill.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Green spa

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNJ
    Just my oppinion, on mine I don't feel the spa gets circulated with the pool water that well. My equipment is close to the pool. Every couple of weeks I turn off the jets and drain the spa back into the pool. I run the pump on low speed and switch the suction side valves from pool to spa. Then switch back and turn returns from pool to spa to refill.

That's a good idea - you may be onto something. I'll try it.

This morning the CL tested at 2.0, added a gallon of bleach.
    Polaris 280 Cleaner