From the Horse's Mouth......

May 6, 2014
redding, ca
Had a question for Bioguard that you guys might find interesting. Got really tired of the pool store trying to sell me dichlor shock and saying it didn't have any CYA. Below is the email trail and the answer's I got.....interesting stuff...

My Original Message:
I have a high cya level in pool, and do not want to increase it further. Does bio guard smart shock have stabilizer/cya in it? Pool store says no but everything I read states that it does, as it is a sodium dichloro. If I use product and my cya goes up, I'm not going to be happy. Thanks

Response from Bioguard:
Yes, the Smart Shock does have some CYA in it. It is not as much as a straight unblended dichlor product, but it does have some. If you are trying to avoid a shock product that contains CYA it would be best to switch over to any of the Burn-Out shocks we have.

My response:
Ok thanks. From what I've read for every 10ppm of dichlor added it adds 9ppm of CYA. What is the ratio for the smart shock? Thanks.
Is the burn out shock cal hypo based? Thanks.

Response from Bioguard:
Smart Shock adds 3.6ppm per dose. CYA levels are not a problem for residential pools up to 200ppm. In commercial situations they say below 100ppm typically because that is the standard limit of most test kits. Most of the Burn Out products are calcium based, but Burn Out 35 is lithium based.

P.S. I'll be returning Smart Shock to Pool Store tomorrow......

PoolMath can answer this kind of question using the effects of adding chemicals section.

I'd love to see them try to maintain a pool with CYA at 190. Being unable to measure the CYA level is far from the only problem you will have when CYA is that high.

It is also worth mentioning that the lithium based Burn Out 35 would be a great source of chlorine except that it costs way more than other chlorine sources.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.