Pool is in need of some serious professional attention

Mar 6, 2012
Kansas City, MO
2 years ago we bought a HUD house. Got an awesome deal and it came with a pool. The house was vacant for a year, and according to the neighbors the pool hadn't been opened for 4+ years prior.
Fast forward to now, and this thing needs some serious attention. We've always had problems with the coping and tile, and had planned on redoing that ourselves this year. We uncovered it over the weekend, and it looks like the plaster is shot, flaking and chipping away. Decking around the pool has settled significantly as well, pulling away from the spa and sloping pretty good towards the back. Quick estimates put the work around 20-25k or higher. I was surprised to hear none of these people offer financing, so we'd have to come up with all that $ somehow. No clue what we're going to do. Even considered filling it in until we found out that would be close to 10k for that.
Have 2 appointments scheduled for estimates. I guess we'll see what they say. If this rain clears up, I'll try to snap some pics tonight and post them up tomorrow.

Any idea if the plumbing is intact and whether the equipment functions? If you're OK there, then there's nothing inherently wrong with running a pool with missing tiles, chipped plaster, and a lumpy deck until you can save up the money to make it look nice.

No pics yet, sorry. I will get some though.
No way we can afford to spend that much on something that's not going to positively effect the value of the house, so we're thinking of recruiting some friends and tackling this ourselves. Anyone here personally resurfaced their pool? Been watching vids and reading articles. Sounds very time consuming, yet doable.
For now though, I'm going to clean it, fill it, and use it. Maybe by the end of the season I'll have worked up enough confidence to tackle such a project.

Pics of what went wrong this winter

Please keep your content together as it is easier to follow. Thanks Casey~

Recently posted this
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/74528-Pool-is-in-need-of-some-serious-professional-attention
Thought I'd update with pics, so here we go

Uncovered last week and found the pool in terrible shape. Waiting to hear back from a local company with a proposal to fix everything, although we're really not in a position to pay for the job any time soon.

Shot of entire pool. Notice the tile, deck cracking, coping...The discoloration in the spa is plaster pitting.
14xjxhl.jpg

Stairs, plaster so bad you can see the concrete
72vbdk.jpg

coping...
2uxut5f.jpg

Stress cracks on the deep end ladder
2irw29x.jpg

Deck pulling away from the spa
245egt3.jpg

Plaster (or lack thereof) in the spa. The discoloration shows the depth of the pitting
2h80jyr.jpg

Coping near the waterline. This is probably the most frustrating part of the whole thing. Can't do anything without pieces flaking off into the water.
1zw0lf6.jpg

Many of these issues are new. We didn't have any plaster issues last year to speak of, and the deteriorating coping was limited to a few sections rather than the majority. Filled it and started cleaning the water last night. Plan on spending the summer researching DIY fixes and getting a hold of people who can do some of this on the side. House was built in 88. Pretty sure everything is original. I think it's held up fairly well, especially when you consider the pool was untouched for a few years prior to me purchasing the house.
Is there anything I can do in the meantime to help stop this thing from falling apart?

Re: Pics of what went wrong this winter

Ouch! Best of luck with that. It looks like a cacophony of things went horribly wrong. I would try to get the water up in and balanced. That will prevent further damage to the plaster, frankly you could get to an ugly but use-able point.

Mind if I PM you about life in Kansas City, MO? I may be moving there - don't want to hijack your thread.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hate to see this type of thing happen.
The stress cracks by the ladder happened because there are no control joints there. Whoever poured the concrete didnt cut them in. If they had, the crack would have happened in the control joint, where it' supposed to. The cracks can be filled with crack filler. You could then perhaps put some concrete paint on teh whole deck or an overlay such as kook deck... concrete paint is comparatively inexpensive to any of the overlays though. This could be a easy enough DIY till such time you could get it re-done the way you really want it.

The mastic by the spa can be removed and all of that cleaned up easy enough. Then put some more mastic there and would prolly be somewhat decent.

The coping and plaster is gonna be the ones that are more diffiuclt to fix.. as you know...

hopefully, things will work out...

Got the proposal back from a local builder. Between 17 and 23k, depending on what kind of finishes we want. Honestly, I don't think that's outrageous, however, it is more than we want to (or can) spend at the moment. Got some time to think about it I guess. In the meantime, water should be ready to swim in by this weekend, so that's a plus!
Hate to see this type of thing happen.
The stress cracks by the ladder happened because there are no control joints there. Whoever poured the concrete didnt cut them in. If they had, the crack would have happened in the control joint, where it' supposed to. The cracks can be filled with crack filler. You could then perhaps put some concrete paint on teh whole deck or an overlay such as kook deck... concrete paint is comparatively inexpensive to any of the overlays though. This could be a easy enough DIY till such time you could get it re-done the way you really want it.

The mastic by the spa can be removed and all of that cleaned up easy enough. Then put some more mastic there and would prolly be somewhat decent.

The coping and plaster is gonna be the ones that are more diffiuclt to fix.. as you know...

hopefully, things will work out...
Good info. Thanks!

I bought a house with a beat up ugly pool, too. Thankfully mine is in DFW - my sis had a pool in KC MO and prices for pool work there were a lot higher than here. So here are some thoughts from an ugly pool owner. The cracks in the deck can be worked with - my pool has a cantilever deck and there were NO expansion joints cut. When I had my pool remodel done, they cut in "clean" cuts where my deck had cracked and then added a few more so that it looked visually correct. So a "redo" on the deck might be nothing more than getting the expansion joints cut and new mastic in all your joints. If you wanted to paint or acid stain the cement, the smaller cracks could be patched and all of that gets hidden. And if you do it yourself you could rent one of those cool saws....Maybe not what you would do if you won the lottery, but if it bought you several years and saved you a few thousand, that would be great.

Whatever you do - PLEASE do not be tempted to paint the pool. Just leave it ugly for now. The sellers of my house were to have refinished the pool, instead they painted it. We almost didn't close on the house over it. It is a huge mess and cost me a lot more money in the long run as well as the huge mess of having to sand blast. We swam in our pool for the first year with ugly delaminating pitting plaster (with bright blue paint chipping off of it). Just be sure you are watching your filter because the pieces of plaster will end up in your filter medium and you are going to need to deal with that. I am sure there is a point where leaks and problems start to happen because the plaster is in such bad shape, but ours was pretty bad and I never had any of those problems - and funny thing, no one ever complained about having to swim in an ugly pool.

You may want to talk to the pool folks about your options on the tile. All mine (from around the same period as yours) was in good shape so we opted to keep it. I know the pool guy mentioned that he had just been at a big tile warehouse figuring out tile to go with some existing tile (the problem on the one he was working on was also in the spill over). If the tile around your pool is in good shape other than the stuff at the spa, you might be able to just replace the spa area with something that looks like it was intended to go in that area. May take a bit of work to get the right look, but holding on to our tile saved me about $1,500 (at a minimum - I was probably going to want an upgrade) - it would probably be more than that in your area. I just had my tile acid washed and skim coat of grout put on it to freshen the whole thing up - it is amazing what those two things can do for beat up old tile.

I would talk to the pool people and ask what you could do different to get the bid down. I ended up using a light that was about $1000 less than the one that was originally quoted to me. My concern was that the LED might not be bright enough and I would be stuck with a $1500 light and no way to back out of the deal, but in the end the $1000 to go conventional was a big price difference. You might talk to them about the difference with off season costs (some areas seem to be more giving during the slower periods). Also, I would sure call out several companies. I think most people here can attest to the fact that bids come in quite a bit different.

My pool got through the facelift a couple of months ago, and we love it. I don't regret trying to hold on to most of the older features (original kool deck, old tile, etc etc). Another thought is to act as your own general contractor. I wouldn't even consider doing it, but several people here have done so with great results. You will need to find out what the rules about permits are so that you can handle that. I found in DFW that there are only so many plaster companies, only so many pool deck folks, etc. If you can find them on your own you may save quite a bit of money. You could start by finding the pool tile warehouse in your area and asking them for a tile guy - the tile guy could probably recommend a plaster company, and so on.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.