Broken Pipes

P

PatG25

Hi everyone

Had my in-ground gunnite pool for 5 years; not too many problems with it. After this winter the pipes between the filter and heater burst. About two 3 foot sections. They sit in the corner of the house, and were probably burried under 3-4 feet of snow this winter. We had an especially rough winter in the northeast.

I had my pool closed by a pool company. I called them up since I figured they didn't do a good job blowing out the pipes. They told me that they had a number of pools with broken pipes, that the thawing / freezing caused them to break.

So it that possible? These are PVC pipes, can they break like that or did the pool company screw up and does not want to admit it?

The pipes are replaced at this point and the pool is up and running.

Thanks,
Pat

PVC can get brittle and fail due to mechanical stress, especially if the pipes are older, unpainted, and have been out in the sun for years. It is remotely possible that shifts in the snow due to freeze/thaw cycles could have broken them, but that isn't the most likely possibility.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.