Dark Stains - Should Have Known Better Before I Filled the Pool

RUSigX

Aug 28, 2013
Lake Wylie, SC
I purchased a new house late last July that is 27k with a pebble stone finish. The pool was a complete swamp and had to be drained. Once I had it drained and shoveled out I cleaned the pool with a stiff bristle brush and diluted bleach. At that time some dark stains (more on the black side) remained from my cleaning efforts, especially on the walls where it looks like 'runs'.

The pool guy told me that any stains that were left would disappear over time with the chlorine and I trusted that. I didn't perform an acid wash on the pool because I heard it could take years off the finish. Fast forward to almost a year later and the dark stains are still there. They don't look that bad when the pool is running and the water is moving but when all of that stops you can definitely see them clearly. I just opened the pool a little over a week ago and went through a full shock using bleach. The pool has an SWG and I'm about to move to using that system over bleach.

Any idea how to combat this without draining the pool and performing an acid wash? The stains in the one pic look a little darker than they actually are.

IMG_1095.jpgIMG_1096.jpgIMG_1094.jpg

Last edited:
My calcium has always been low for the most part, I always have to add. I think the pool wasnt really cleaned good enough when I drained it to clean out all the debris. At that time I was really concerned with trying to minimize the damage to the surface. I just got the salt up to 3200 and started using the SWG again. Here are my most recent test results.

FC - 3
CC - 0
TA - 60 (just raised to 70 today)
CH - 260 (just raised to 300 today)
CYA - 50 (just raised to 70 today)
PH - 7.5

The vitamin C took a small stain off right away, do looks like I have some metal stains. Might just try to live with them for the summer and wait to do the AA treatment at the end. Just got the water all balanced up and the whole AA process sounds kind of like a bear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.