Pool pump and filter location: Code?

I don't believe there is any such requirement. It would be in NEC 680, though it is possible that your local government has implemented different requirements.

680 specifically says that the receptacle for the pump wiring can be no closer than 5', but it doesn't specifiy the pump location.

Is this an inground or on ground pool? For an inground, you want the pump as far from the pool as you can get it for noise reduction. Keeping it out of the splash zone can only make it last longer.

The receptacle must be at least 6 feet away (or sometimes 10 feet, depending)(680-22(A)(1)). The pump it's self can be closer, though the cord connecting the pump to the receptacle can't be longer than 3 feet(680-22(A)(5)).

There aren't any obvious restrictions on flexible conduit lengths. The cord length limitation only applies to cords with plugs.

The new rules require locking plugs, if you have a plug for the pump. But hardwiring is still allowed.

By the by, temporary pools have different rules than what we have been taking about. Everything I wrote is about permanently installed pools. The line between permanent and temporary is kind of blurry, with different areas having different rules.

Just had my electric installed in the fall. Post had to be 6 ft from the wall of the pool, and cord to the filter had to be 3 ft or less with a twist lock. One circuit was the filter only with a hard wired timer - we also added an on off switch at the post for this circuit to be able to shut off the filter without unplugging. There also had to be an independent circuit with separate outlets for auxilirary items. All outlets needed to be in waterproof enclosures. And don't forget about bonding the pool with the copper wire around the perimeter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.