Best pump/filter combo?

Feb 27, 2014
Pennsylvania
We plan on purchasing an Intex 18'x52" Ultra Frame and using the Krystal Clear saltwater system, but I'm lost on what would be the best size pump and filter to use. It will come with a 1600 but I read that, while it will work, it's not quite adequate. I was looking at the Intex 2650 sand filter and pump, but is there something better out there that doesn't cost much more? I'm still trying to learn the basics so links would be helpful. :)

There are many things that are better, but they generally cost quite bit more. The Intex 2650 pump & sand filter combo is a very good deal, probably the best choice in it's price range. I recommend getting the salt system as a separate unit, rather than bundled with the pump/filter. Salt systems have very different lifetimes from pump/filters, and it is difficult (at best) to service them separately when purchased all three together. Buying the pump/filter together usually works out alright, just not the three way combo with the salt system.

It is possible to run an Intex pool with the pump filter that come with it, but I really don't recommend it. The cartridge filters that come with most of their pools are drastically undersized, which frequently leads to problems.

I just bought the 22' x 52' intex last week and I've been researching the pump / filter issue also. I've pretty much decided to go with the intex 2650 sand filter and the intex swg. The intex 2650 has gotten great reviews and you can't beat the price. To get a better setup than that with Hayward equipment I was looking at over $600 not including the swg. I'm going to see how the intex does this season and if I need to upgrade next year that at least spreads the cost out. Hopefully I won't have to! Good luck!

I just bought the 22' x 52' intex last week and I've been researching the pump / filter issue also. I've pretty much decided to go with the intex 2650 sand filter and the intex swg. The intex 2650 has gotten great reviews and you can't beat the price. To get a better setup than that with Hayward equipment I was looking at over $600 not including the swg. I'm going to see how the intex does this season and if I need to upgrade next year that at least spreads the cost out. Hopefully I won't have to! Good luck!

Where did you get the pool from, if I may ask?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.