Quantity of Chemicals Needed (BBB) for New Pool Fill

Jun 22, 2008
I will be setting up my new pool tommorow (weather permitting). It's an Intex Frame Set 18' x 48" roughly 6400gal. I have the TF Test Kit on hand. I want to stock up on everything I would need to treat the water on my new pool fill. Any ideas?

Well I tested my tap water and here are my numbers:

FC - 1
CC - .5
TC - 1.5
pH - 7.2
TA - 110
CH - 300

From reading on the site I can just pour the bleach into the return jet in the pool. What about the Borax? Will it disolve easy? And the CYA. To bring it up from 0 to 40 I will need to add 34oz of CYA. What is the best way to add this much at one time? Thanks

Looks like your fill water will have acceptable (yet just a bit on the higher end) levels for TA and CH.

You can add the CYA straight to your skimmer (pump running). Add about 2/3's of the total amount and wait 4-7 days and retest before adding more. It takes CYA sometimes a week to fully desolve, therefore don't clean your filter cartridges (or backwash if sand filter) until your CYA test indicates you have the correct level.

The borax can be broadcasted around the pool surface with the pump running.

It would help in the future if you put all pertinent information in your signature. See HERE.

Good Luck!

Your fill water is fine. Fill the pool, add your CYA, shock it and then you should be good to go. pH, TA, and CH are all within acceptable range. The shocking will get rid of the chloramines that ae being used to sanitze your fill water. Test your chlorine and pH daily (only test pH when chlorine is at normal and not shock levels) and test the other parameters weekly and make adjustments as needed.
I see no need to add any borax at this point, your pH is fine at 7.2 and will rise on it's own.
Once your FC drops below 10 ppm after shocking you need to do one more thing...go swimming! :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.