Trying to figure this all out! OVERWHELMED!

austinsmom01 said:
JasonLion said:
Low CH isn't a problem for vinyl pools, but high CH is. One common symptom of high CH levels is white cloudiness.

Makes sense! I will check it when I get home. Thanks!
Just got home and checked CH is 20! I certainly wouldn't think that was high. So I got out there and vacuumed, scrubbed and skimmed every bit I could but there is still lots of "dirt" and it's very cloudy. Should I shock again?

Well, I didn't get anymore replies so I guess I just need more POP........

I didn't think such a small pool would take so long to clear though. Did I mention it's been 2 weeks of running the pump 24/7? I WANNA TURN IT OFF!!!! sigh.......... :(

Those are significant drops but....the guru's have stated it's not unusual to see a 50% decrease, even with substantial CYA levels, especially in hot weather/full sun.

It's the last test that shows your CC's are back up from zero to .5 still not enough to be overly concerned but it does show something is happening. I would go ahead and keep it up to 16-18 another day or two.

I do firmly believe alot of this is the Intex pump/filters, that the setup is just barely adequate. So many posters this season have been Intex pool owners. I don't mean to slam Intex, it just seems like 75% of the posters I've responded to have been about Intex. I'm sure I'm exaggerating.... Now, with regard to cartridges....it seems like Intex is in a world of their own so I don't know if this applies or not. My cartridge cleans better when its slightly dirty. So maybe try cleaning it less? I know it sounds strange but I just thought I'd take a shot in the dark. Since you do have a .5 CC go ahead and shock again and clean the filter on Thursday, if you think it can wait that long. The only other option may be the dreaded clarifier (that I've never used and can't believe I'm suggesting) For some people when nothing else has worked that has. I don't even know if that's possible with an Intex vacume set up.

The only other thing I can think is the Intex filter being so small just takes longer to clear the water than regular sand/cartridge/DE filters.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Above-ground pools which often do not have a floor drain sometimes do get stuck in getting clear because the circulation is poor. This is especially true when the pump is undersized or the filter is small or if one does not brush regularly. This may be a situation where using a flocculant will speed things up -- assuming you are able to vacuum to waste. This will at least consolidate suspended particles and have them fall to the floor. OMNI Liquid Floc Plus is one several have used with success. Though this isn't something recommended initially since chlorine, filtration and brushing usually clear most pools, it is something that usually works in these difficult situations.

Richard

chem geek said:
Above-ground pools which often do not have a floor drain sometimes do get stuck in getting clear because the circulation is poor. This is especially true when the pump is undersized or the filter is small or if one does not brush regularly. This may be a situation where using a flocculant will speed things up -- assuming you are able to vacuum to waste. This will at least consolidate suspended particles and have them fall to the floor. OMNI Liquid Floc Plus is one several have used with success. Though this isn't something recommended initially since chlorine, filtration and brushing usually clear most pools, it is something that usually works in these difficult situations.

Richard

Thanks Richard, that is the thing here, can you vacume to waste? You will lose a lot of water that way and have to do some replacement, this will dilute your CYA. I really can't think of anything else, I'm just at a loss... :oops:

frustratedpoolmom said:
Those are significant drops but....the guru's have stated it's not unusual to see a 50% decrease, even with substantial CYA levels, especially in hot weather/full sun.

It's the last test that shows your CC's are back up from zero to .5 still not enough to be overly concerned but it does show something is happening. I would go ahead and keep it up to 16-18 another day or two.

I do firmly believe alot of this is the Intex pump/filters, that the setup is just barely adequate. So many posters this season have been Intex pool owners. I don't mean to slam Intex, it just seems like 75% of the posters I've responded to have been about Intex. I'm sure I'm exaggerating.... Now, with regard to cartridges....it seems like Intex is in a world of their own so I don't know if this applies or not. My cartridge cleans better when its slightly dirty. So maybe try cleaning it less? I know it sounds strange but I just thought I'd take a shot in the dark. Since you do have a .5 CC go ahead and shock again and clean the filter on Thursday, if you think it can wait that long. The only other option may be the dreaded clarifier (that I've never used and can't believe I'm suggesting) For some people when nothing else has worked that has. I don't even know if that's possible with an Intex vacume set up.

The only other thing I can think is the Intex filter being so small just takes longer to clear the water than regular sand/cartridge/DE filters.
I shocked again last night to 17.5 with .5 CC. I checked again this morning and it was 17 with 0 CC. My CC's have gone back and forth from .5 to 0. My 1,500 gph pump really seems to push the water out with gusto. I've turned the pump off and I'll wait and see what's sitting on the bottom when I get home from work. I'm thinking of getting a good vacuum that will filter out the small stuff (any suggestions are appreciated) that the panty hose don't seem to keep. What I have is good at getting the bigger dirt and leaves but the small particles just kick up the cloudiness. I also think I need a better hose for the vac as it seems to not hold suction enough for me to use it instead of the little one intex provided.

Would it be helpful to do a partial drain and refill? I have an irrigation well that I use to fill with and I've had trouble with metals. Could this be an issue as well?

I don't think that replacing water will help. I haven't seen todays water test results, but the numbers were good several days ago. The overnight FC loss being only 0.5 strongly suggests that all of the algae is dead and it is simply a matter of filtering everything out of the water.

The standard Intex filters are marginal. They are prone to having water bypass the filter and are too small, except for the smallest pools. The best long term solution is to replace the filter with a better filter. You can also try a floc treatment. (Yes, above ground pools can vacuum to waste, simply leave the filter open and the water will come out there, or remove the return hose and direct the water elsewhere.) However a flock treatment will require some careful vacuuming and plenty of replacement water. There is also a reasonable chance that clarifier will help the filter be more effective.

JasonLion said:
I don't think that replacing water will help. I haven't seen todays water test results, but the numbers were good several days ago. The overnight FC loss being only 0.5 strongly suggests that all of the algae is dead and it is simply a matter of filtering everything out of the water.

The standard Intex filters are marginal. They are prone to having water bypass the filter and are too small, except for the smallest pools. The best long term solution is to replace the filter with a better filter. You can also try a floc treatment. (Yes, above ground pools can vacuum to waste, simply leave the filter open and the water will come out there, or remove the return hose and direct the water elsewhere.) However a flock treatment will require some careful vacuuming and plenty of replacement water. There is also a reasonable chance that clarifier will help the filter be more effective.
Am I understanding you to say I should upgrade my 1500 gph pump to a say....2500 gph? Or are you saying to just buy a different brand of filter cartridge? I'm also thinking of getting one of the intex skimmers that hang on the side of the pool so that when I vacuum it will be an extra layer of filtration. Does anyone know if this vacuum would be sufficient for my pool? It also has a filter bag.
http://www.brandsonsale.com/hg-005278.html

If there is a different filter/pump system someone else would recommend I look into besides Intex brand that would be adequate for my pool and not too expensive, I'm open for suggestions.

I'm just wondering if draining, refilling and starting over would be my best option at this point. I didn't have a problem before the algae breakout and now I know what caused it so as to not let it happen again.

My son just wonders if he'll be able to use the pool at all this summer and if he'll ever see his mom again. I've been so preoccupied with clearing my water that everyone is disgusted with me in my house.

I would start a new thread about the intex pool vacume and put that in the subject. People who have used it are not going to read thru this entire thread to find your question....I can't help you on that... :oops:

There was another poster, she purchased a small sand filter to get rid of the Intex. You could PM her and get her thoughts as well as what the sand filter cost her? The 2,500 GPH Intex model might be more affordable than the sand but more efficient than what you have now.

help-need-to-know-if-i-am-on-right-track-or-lost-t7726.html

I'd hate to see you drain and start over after all your hard work, but that's a personal decision I suppose, and I totally understand with the kids and family and all. You want your life back! LOL!

I am new here so you can take or leave my opinion.

I too had horrible problems and recently did a conversion from BaquaPOOP to chlorine and also replaced my crappy filter cartridge with a Hayward T166S Sand Filter and its 100% better filteration and I only wish I had done it sooner. Didnt have to buy a pump cause my 1HP pump I had worked just great with the filter system I got.

I would recommend sand filteration to anyone and everyone seems to filter much better.

Like I said just my opinion take it or leave it.

jshinklin said:
I am new here so you can take or leave my opinion.

I too had horrible problems and recently did a conversion from BaquaPOOP to chlorine and also replaced my crappy filter cartridge with a Hayward T166S Sand Filter and its 100% better filteration and I only wish I had done it sooner. Didnt have to buy a pump cause my 1HP pump I had worked just great with the filter system I got.

I would recommend sand filteration to anyone and everyone seems to filter much better.

Like I said just my opinion take it or leave it.

LOL I just posted a link to your thread for Cindy to check out....GMTA

JasonLion said:
It is not the pump that is the issue, it is the small cartridge filter. You can add a filter after the existing pump/filter combo, or replace them both at once. Something like a 14" sand filter from here, or anything similar (there are many choices), would be a dramatic improvement over what you have.
I totally appreciate the advice. So, I can hook something like this up to my existing pump/filter combo?? Would I allow the water to pass through the sandfilter first or the intex filter or does that matter??

You all are a godsend!
Ps. Can I buy something like this locally (Sears, Home Depot, etc.) or would I have to order it online?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.