70% Powder Chlorine - 1KG per day for 20,000 gallon pool in tropics - zero reading

The test strips are what we call guess strips for this very reason. You next step with the strips is to toss them in the trash.
The drop test is the best one for the pH test. Looking at yours the pH is high. You need to get it down.

The chlorine level is too high for the tests to work properly. It is interfering with the liquid test and probably bleaching out the test strip pad causing a lighter color.

I wouldn't trust a test strip regardless, but the liquid test likely will only read properly when the chlorine level is below 5, possibly even 3 for that particular tester.

Reactions: jblizzle
Your pH test is invalid as it appears your FC is above 3 ppm. That tester is limited in that way.

I would not take action on the pH until you can test it with the FC closer to 3 ppm.

Your pH test is invalid as it appears your FC is above 3 ppm. That tester is limited in that way.

I would not take action on the pH until you can test it with the FC closer to 3 ppm.
The red drops for PH - says to put 5 in that tester - water turns red so fast - is crazy how can not be really red no matter what. But will test again once Chlorine is lower - put in Chlorine and then not sunny so lasted longer I guess =)

Do a pH test on your regular drinking water. That will give you an example of how it should work.

It will be a challenge with only that level of tester available.

A 2006C should cover you for the year.
The most used reagents you will need to replace are the FAS-DPD reagents.

You can try 4 drops to see if it makes a difference. The number of drops changes the intensity of the color.

I agree with Donldson, I think your chlorine level might be too high for that pH test to work properly.
At higher FC levels, the pH test will always look pink.
That looks like one of the cheap pH/OTO test kits which are not going to be as reliable as a Taylor test kit as the FC rises for the pH reagent to compensate.

Anyway you can get a FAS-DPD chlorine test over there?

EDIT: Just saw your other thread about looking for a K-2006C :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is the kit I have. It has everything. Including for inground pools. Mine is above ground, I don't use all of the tests/chemicals. The kit has more than you'll need for one year. It is $70 in the US and you can buy just the chem refills each year, which is cheaper yet. Like kimkats said, We can't speak to the Taylor kit unless we know exactly which one you are talking about.

Yes, Your pH looks pretty off the charts. Time to blast that down into the 7.2-7.5 range right away. I use muriatic acid from the hardware store (Lowes.) Be super careful with that stuff!

Photos are always tough to judge, but it looks like you have plenty of Cl, at least for now. Not bad to have it high for a little while, especially when opening the pool, and when you don't know your other levels. Keep an eye on it over time, if it doesn't drop low for a couple of days, your CYA might be ok, but you really need to test. No guessing allowed! :) If CYA gets too high, then it affects your chlorine's ability to work. But your strip test shows CYA is pretty much not there, and you've been losing Cl like crazy, so you most likely need it.

The weird thing is that your drop pH test shows really high pH and your strip test shows really low pH. Strips are unreliable, so I'd go with the drop test, as long as you're sure you did it correctly. (Not judging. I've made plenty of mistakes.) Nobody on here likes test strips, so try the drop test again and see where you end up. I would definitely do this before adding anything. Your pH is either really high or really low and you want to make sure you pull your water in the right direction when you are off by that much.

In summary, you probably need a good bit of CYA, you probably need a good bit of acid, and you definitely need to test with a good kit as soon as you can. Happy hunting! Enjoy the journey. It was a fun process for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.