CYA goes away...

Thanks chemgeek! Those were some details I was unsure of.

Hope that helps some davlinde, I'm kind of out of answers on this big of a loss.

I would keep tracking all the parameters and see what happens over the summer.

Yep - we there are a bunch of moving parts in this one. We bumped up the FC, then put the solar cover on, then started the solar, and topped off the water.

My fear is that I've got a leak (again) and this is due to dilution. I guess that can be proven/disproven by testing more frequently.
The good news it that the pool is clean, clear, 85F and happy for today!

Did the pool lose 2" of water while the cover was on? Are there any exposed areas of water that the cover does not cover? Two inches of water loss with a cover on indicates to me that you have a leak.

Some cover on, some off. I need to watch it now with the cover off. It's a solar cover and when the returns kick on they will dump some water on top. Over time I get salt deposits on top too, indicating that pool water is evaporating off the top of the cover. But yeah... the amount of water gone is concerning to me. I'll track it a bit closer now that the cover is off. I can also rough out a calculation of the percent of total volume replaced for each inch of water added and see if that in any way tracks the loss of CYA next time as dilution. Hmmm... I guess I can also test CYA BEFORE I top off next time?

Sure you can. Or keep track of pre-top off Cya levels VS, post top-off Cya levels. Either way, same result.

Normally, top-offs are going to have small effects on Cya levels, but in a 7500 gallon pool, frequent ones of any significant amount can have some impact. Note what they are in inches and figure it up. It will be very simple to figure out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.