Advice on Automatic Solar Pool Heater Controllers

Jason, perhaps I should have said something like most common ones will interchange, however there are several that I have seen on sites like ebay that will not. The GL-235 in question uses a 24V actuator, there are also 12V actuators, as well as solenoid operated diverter valves. Additionally the solar temperature sensors have limited interchangeability as most / all use use some type of 10K Ohm Thermisters for their temperature sensors, the problem is some brands use different response curves than others, which tend to have minimal differences if used as matched sets at normal pool temperatures, but if used on controllers that use the sensors for freeze detection they cab be off by about 10 degrees at 32 degrees F..

Ike

I totally agree on the temp sensors, but those usually come with the controller, so I was not even thinking about them.

I guess I was only thinking about the "pool" actuators which I thought were ALL 24V and the major brand valves which should be interchangeable. I was not aware of 12V and solenoid valves that were for pool applications (or maybe they actually are not).

Perhaps we should say that 24V actuators and valves from all the major U.S. brands seem to interchange ok, just be careful of minor brands, imports, and vintage / old stock parts.

Ike

p.s. also be ware of temperature sensors that are advertised as being compatible with the major brands, because chances are it is not so compatible with some of them, I got burned by one of those "compatible" sensors sold on ebay which had the wrong curve

When I first installed my solar setup, I went with the Hayward OnCommand. I wanted everything run from one device. A key feature I was looking for was the ability to keep the pump on (over-ride) as long as solar heat was still available and needed. OnCommand is a good unit, and I felt there was value in having everything run from a single device.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.