Trouble with Frogs

Sep 22, 2013
Does anyone have problems with frogs getting in your pool at night? Im have a HUGE issue with a number of frogs getting into my pool at night and not being able to get out. Then when the filter turns on, they get stuck in the skimmer and die. I literally have to scoop them out everynight and every morning so I dont have dead frogs. The problem is that I travel a lot, so when they die in the skimmer...theyre stuck there. It causes the balance of my chemicals to go out of whack, not to mention they relieve themselves in there creating stains. PLEASE HELP ME!! Ive tried everything, including giving them an "out" of the pool location. Doesnt work, they party there every night still.

Billie from Charlotte, NC

vucko002 said:
Does anyone have problems with frogs getting in your pool at night? Im have a HUGE issue with a number of frogs getting into my pool at night and not being able to get out. Then when the filter turns on, they get stuck in the skimmer and die. I literally have to scoop them out everynight and every morning so I dont have dead frogs. The problem is that I travel a lot, so when they die in the skimmer...theyre stuck there. It causes the balance of my chemicals to go out of whack, not to mention they relieve themselves in there creating stains. PLEASE HELP ME!! Ive tried everything, including giving them an "out" of the pool location. Doesnt work, they party there every night still.

Billie from Charlotte, NC
Billie - I live in the Charlotte area and we are right near a creek but have only a few frogs ever. I wonder if putting some type of "ladder" in the skimmer and leaving the cover off - or making a cover to use when you are not there that allows the frogs a way out of the skimmer would help.

I got not perfect but great results from a "ramp" of styrofoam that floats on the pool water on one end and taped to the decking on the other.

Sounds like you have tried that or something very similar, though.

Thanks so much! Yes, I had a ramp type floating device that I bought called the Frog Log. It worked for about two weeks, then the frogs got wise and stayed there hanging out on it all night. I did talk to a Pool Service who also recommended the step ladder in the skimmer. Right now, I have a leaf cover that seems to be working if pulled tight. I was just trying to get around having to have a leaf cover over my beautiful pool all summer. Didnt know if there was a chemical or device that will totally deter them.

We get around 3 to 4 frogs every night until around Fall, then they disappear (not sure if its the cover or the weather). They make my chemicals inbalance since they relieve themselves in the pool and if left too long it creates stains. Yes, we do have a huge creek..since we live in Steele Creek..blah! :( not to mention a marsh/gross pond next to HomeDepot on the street next to us.

How long is this ramp of styrofoam you mention? Is it right next to the deck? Also which side? maybe next to the skimmer is not the best place to put mine?

Thanks again

Billie - Kermit is not my friend

How long is this ramp of styrofoam you mention? Is it right next to the deck? Also which side? maybe next to the skimmer is not the best place to put mine?
I made two, about 18" long and 10" wide. I put them on opposite sides of the pool. disregarded skimmer location.

I taped them to the decking with duct tape and they are not pretty but my total cost was zero since I had the 1/2" styrofoam boards and duct tape on hand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.