Getting the clear water back...

jblizzle said:
Raise the CYA with stabilizer (this will also lower the pH some)

If the stabilizer lowers pH some too, how much MA should I add compared to what the pool calculator says? I put in a pH now of 8.2 and a target of 7.5. I got the ounces and I have the MA now. But I don't want to lower it too much and start going back and forth.

Sorry for all of the questions. I want to make sure I get this right

Okay, here is what I have seen this weekend. I have vacummed all the stuff in the pool to waste and while vacuuming, I noticed that this is not dirt anymore. It's algae. So I will get these levels correct and then for sure do the SLAM. I will report back

And I forgot to mention that the pH has dropped from the 8.2 in my original tests to 7.2 yesterday. So instead of lowering the pH, I will have to raise it just a tad, right? And from my reading, since my TA is okay, I need to use Borax to raise the pH, correct? I'm sure the pH being lower is from the fact that I vacuumed to waste a lot the last few days.

I added the DE yesterday as well. I added until the pressure raised 1psi. Then I allowed it to run last night and it had raised an additional 6 psi over night. I will be adding the stabilizer and the salt today and then go from there.

One other question, I will be closing the pool as soon as I get all this straight so is there anything extra I need to do or anything less I need to do with this being the case? Thanks again guys

Bama Rambler said:
What is your TA now?

I'm going to check it again today now that I have everything moving along. I was basing the question off what it was earlier, just making sure my thought process was correct. I'll run a full test again today and check everything before I start adding any chemicals.

Numbers from today.

Cl=.5
pH=7.2

FC=1.5
CC=1
TC=2.5

T/A=60

CH=110
CYA=filled tube to the top and still saw the dot.

Again, the FC test wasn't a predominant pink, but I added more powder this time to make it more pink. I have some stabilizer that I will be adding tonight for the CYA. Do I need to raise the TA any? From pool school, it's right on the lower line. So should I use the soda to raise the pH or borax?

The pool water is still looking pretty good. It still has some stuff floating (algae I assume) but my wife vacuumed to filter today and I think the DE is really doing its job.

Lead me from here o'wise ones.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
pwrstrk said:
I would shoot for a CYA of 30 for SLAMming.

Well, I put enough stabilizer in there to bring me up to around 60-70. But I have it in a sock in the skimmer right now, so I guess I can just test the water each day and remove the sock once the cya gets to that level.

Why 30 just out of curiosity? I hate to remove what I put in there and lose that money though.

Well, if I test the water tomorrow and it's at 30 (hypothetically), can I pull the socks out, slam, and then use the same socks and stabilizer to bring it up to the optimum level? Or will I have to throw that stabilizer away and buy more?

TN94z said:
Well, I put enough stabilizer in there to bring me up to around 60-70. But I have it in a sock in the skimmer right now, so I guess I can just test the water each day and remove the sock once the cya gets to that level.
cya can take a week to show up in test so if you think half of what you started with is already in the water (regardless of what the test says now), I would take the rest out.

Unfortunately, since you put it in the skimmer, some of the cya may be in your sand filter. Normally we say not to backflush for a week if you use that method, but since you need to do the SLAM process, you will probably need to backwash much sooner, and that may mean you will loose some. My preferred method for adding cya, especially if you are in need of the SLAM process is to hang the sock in front of a return.

Ok. I will take it out in the morning as I just put it in. So then I wait until Friday to test? Once I get the number, I can calculate how much bleach I need, right? That would time out pretty good as I could start the slam on the weekend.

So can I reuse that stabilizer later?

How much CYA do you think you added ? Did you use the pool calc ? Test it earlier to see what you come up with. If you want to wait till the weekend to SLAM that's ok. Use the pool calc to figure out your FC shock level.

pwrstrk said:
How much CYA do you think you added ? Did you use the pool calc ? Test it earlier to see what you come up with. If you want to wait till the weekend to SLAM that's ok. Use the pool calc to figure out your FC shock level.

Yes, I used the pool calculator. It said to add like 234oz and I think I added maybe 160oz ( I wanted to add on the lower side and see where that got me rather than adding too much and CYA getting too high) and that was to get it to 70 from 20, I believe. I looked at it this morning and there is still A LOT left, so I will get my wife to check it when she gets home from work. She works nights so she will be home by lunch. I did test it this morning (I know it will take longer for it to show up completely) and it was still lower than the 20 on my tube.

linen said:
Unfortunately, since you put it in the skimmer, some of the cya may be in your sand filter. Normally we say not to backflush for a week if you use that method, but since you need to do the SLAM process, you will probably need to backwash much sooner, and that may mean you will loose some. My preferred method for adding cya, especially if you are in need of the SLAM process is to hang the sock in front of a return.

So what will be the results of the CYA if I have to backwash during the SLAM process? I know it will go down obviously, but then what would I do?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.