Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To Lube or Not to Lube (a pool light gasket)

1. Back To Top    #1

To Lube or Not to Lube (a pool light gasket)

Should the pool light gasket be lubricated when installing a new gasket and replacing a dead lamp? I did a quick search of the forum, but didn't find an answer to this particular question.

The instructions that came with the new Pentair replacement pool lamp fixture did not specifically say to lubricate the gasket.

To Lube or Not to Lube, That is the Question (with apologies to W. Shakespeare).

Titanium
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: To Lube or Not to Lube (a pool light gasket)

I'd lube it. The lube won't hurt anything, but a dryrotted gasket is gonna cause trouble!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: To Lube or Not to Lube (a pool light gasket)

Waste,

Thanks for your reply.

So I guess I am going to apply my goopy Leslie's Lube to the pool light gasket. This stuff is always fun to apply.

Titanium
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)