First BBB season report

WildAl

Jul 25, 2012
As we are nearing the end of pool season here in the midwest soon, I thought I would share some insights after my first full season of using the BBB method. I was converted in the summer of 2012 when my pool turned green about mid June and the stuff the pool store sold me to "clear it right up" made it way worse. A month later I had a clear pool thanks to HTH Green to Blue and implementing the BBB method - vowing to never again listen to pool store advice on water chemistry!

So, here were are in late August. The pool (27 ft AG) has been sparkling clear from the day I opened it in May. The cool thing is, I didn't shock the pool once all summer! There was not a trace of green algae anywhere in the pool all summer long, not even in those stubborn hide out spots it likes to grow in under the ladder.

I did add Borax to the pool this season. Aside from giving the water a slightly softer feel when swimming, I didn't really notice any other difference. It was very clear to begin with. I know Borax is supposed to cut down your chlorine consumption but I didn't really notice that it did. PH and Total Alk have remained very stable all season. The only time I really messed with the PH at all was when I added the Borax. Smooth sailing ever since.

Bottom line, if anyone is or has been on the fence about BBB - just do it! It makes total sense, it's cheaper and you spend way less time worrying about the pool. Now, if only I could find something this easy to help finish the deck I'm trying to build around the pool!!! HAPPY SWIMMING!

Sounds like you have things under control :goodjob:

WildAl said:
I know Borax is supposed to cut down your chlorine consumption but I didn't really notice that it did.
Assuming by Borax you mean that you raised the borate level up to ~ 50ppm?

No, borate use will not typically reduce normal chlorine usage.

The way I understand it, borates do act as a mild algaecide, which may briefly protect against/or delay an algae outbreak if FC does happen to dip below the minimum level ( for the pools cya level). However, relying on this is not a reliable way to stay algae free.

yes i did raise to 50 ppm...basically followed the procedure i found on this forum. I thought I had read somewhere that some pool owners had reported a decrease in chlorine demand when borax was added, but that could have been wrong. either way, very successful season for the pool and i will stick with BBB from here on out!

If owners report a decrease in chlorine demand after adding 50 ppm Borates, then that means they had a nascent algae bloom and did not properly shock their pool to get rid of the algae and then properly maintain at least the minimum FC for their CYA level, assuming decent circulation. For properly maintained pools, there should be no change in chlorine demand after adding the borates. It's insurance that slows down the rate of algae growth if the chlorine gets too low and it's a pH buffer to lessen the frequency of acid addition and to help prevent calcium carbonate scaling, especially in saltwater chlorine generator cells.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.