New, near Portland, Oregon

Aug 4, 2013
Tigard, OR
Hi all, Paul here,

Found a lot of great advice here. Just switched to bleach (from tri-chlor in skimmer baskets) and I'm slowly adding 20 mule team borax. Approx. 15 ppm (calculated, not measured). Using 6-way HTH strips and a very old guardex 4-way test kit for now. Pool is crystal clear (for now). Can count the shedding plaster grains on pool floor 10 feet down.

Thanks for this site.

Paul.

Since you've been doing some reading here, you know you are going to be told you need a better test kit, so here it is:

http://tftestkits.net/

Best value is the TF-100 with XL option. Think seriously about the SpeedStir, as well.

You need accurate testing you can trust, and the TF-100 or the K-2006 will do what you need.

Thanks Charlie,

I'm usually just a half step ahead of bill collectors when pool is running and only 1 step in off season so the kit (even though it may pay for itself by
preventing just one algae bloom) will have to wait. Fought off 2 blooms so far this year by my reluctance to shock and my neglect of skimmer tabs.
My work schedule is odd so finding the right time balance to shock vs. pool use times by extended family and friends and my free time is tough. I
really hate saying "the pool is too hot to swim in right now, I just shocked it." Also, with the amount of shade in my yard and providing for maximum
sunlight exposure with solar cover off takes it 2 days to bring back to safe levels.

Paul.

I know the feeling about "one step ahead".

What you can do is build a kit a piece at a time.

Start with the ~$25 HTH 6-way from Walmart. It is actually made by Taylor, so it is compatible with the two that we recommend. That will get you the OTO/phenol red chlorine & pH test, and a basic Total Alkalinity and Total Hardness, along with the CYA test. Then when you can, you order the FAS-DPD reagents.

Later on, you can add the three CH reagents and the three TA reagents that complete the TF-100 and K-2006.

The difference in the tests between the 6-way and TF-100/K-2006 are the thiosulfate reagent, R-0007; and the calcium buffer, R-0010.