Question about getting pool water tested at store

partypond said:
Due to my wonderful test kit and this great site, I have never had my water tested at a pool store. My question is do they check for CYA on normal testing? Is it very accurate? I would like to see if their results are near mine to make sure I am reading the test right. THX :lol:

Personally, I've used the Pool Store for the last 2 years. They test for free, I get it done every Saturday. Pool is crystal clear. I add 1.25 qts of 12.5% liquid chlorine every 3rd day. No tablets, no algecide, one pound of PH+ when I first opened the pool this spring. Family owned store that's been in business for more than 50 years. I would not recommend a chain store. The only concern I had with their testing was CYA but seems to be stable... numbers since 06/01/13

MT DEW on the rocks to drink,

Bleach and MA for the pool.

And maybe a few ideas for a doggie shower so they don't drag so much mud into the pool.

I'm either going to have to buy a robot or rig something up to keep the silt from settling on the bottom. I refuse to submit! (as I click the "submit" button!)

Charlie_R said:
MT DEW on the rocks to drink,

Bleach and MA for the pool.

And maybe a few ideas for a doggie shower so they don't drag so much mud into the pool.

I'm either going to have to buy a robot or rig something up to keep the silt from settling on the bottom. I refuse to submit! (as I click the "submit" button!)
If it is mostly on their paws you can set up a plastic kiddie pool filled with water that they have to walk through to get to the steps.

EDIT: I just noticed you buried your pool. Maybe you can add a moat!

Ok, I can bring it back to the topic:

I wouldn't trust a pool store test, ever. I know the owners of the locally owned store that my father uses. They are decent people, went to school with their kids, but their testing computer is just a glorified test strip. No, literally, it uses a camera to read a test strip. I don't trust a test strip in my own hands, why would I trust it in their hands? These are free tests, it is not in the company's financial interest to spend more for more accuracy. I don't mean they make more money by cheating the customer (that's a whole other discussion) I mean they don't make more money by being more accurate. As long as it brings in the customers it's close enough.

If you go to Auto Zone to do a free test of your car computer, that's a computer talking to a computer, not a lot of error is possible. But if it's been proven here that pool store accuracy is questionable at best, why bet your pool on those results? If you are taking control of your pool don't leave the most important part in the hands of other people. That's my opinion anyway, I'm not intending to offend anybody who disagrees.

Hmmm, I think I prefer the pepsi challenge. Um, 7-UP :party:

Was frankly just looking for an excuse to use that smiley.

This thread dedicated to the Memory of Bama Rambler, who apparently has decided to drink bleach. Keep on keepin' on!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since I rarely get to drink beer anymore, its something with a glass and ice for me and I don't normally drink near the pool. When I do get a gluten-free beer, it's usually just the bottle, as I sit in a chair next to my freshly mowed lawn.

I like my margies on the rocks and I don't drink sodas, just iced tea.. with just ice and tea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.