Let's see how much water we can lose.....

My wife looked again today. Down past the light a good 3". She's gonna have somebody come out and add water as the shallow end only has about a foot of water left. I'm hoping we found a leak company that may travel the hour to check the pool in Pittsburgh, but we won't know for sure until tomorrow.

Well it now looks like we'll be replacing the liner before winter. The neighbors found a tear in their liner, and had it patched last weekend. So far we've yet to find anything in ours. The water has stopped leaking out, but there's maybe a foot left in the shallow end. It wasn't enough to hold the 13 year old liner in place, which is now pulling away from the walls. The blasting company has came out and did another inspection on the house....but no word if they're going to cover any damages. At this point I'd be shocked if they do. I'm going in tomorrow to start looking around for any tears once again.

We're slowly starting to shop for liners to replace ASAP to avoid any damage to the pool structure itself. We don't want to horse around too long and slowly start watching the walls cave in.

It now looks as if we're gonna go into argument mode. After getting in yesterday with the water lose slowing dramatically, I found a tear in the shallow end by the steps. There's also a spot above the tear where a crack has formed in the concrete and has started causing the metal walls to separate. At this point it also looks like we'll need to replace the decking some as well. I'm getting very interested in seeing what everything looks like under the liner. I patched the tear and did a bucket test.....but a rain storm messed everything up. Gonna try it again this weekend.

They had an employee from the blasting company come out and document the damage, and inspect to see if there's any liability on their end. Several new cracks were found in the house, and have been noted. They called today however and left a message stating that they felt the damage wasn't caused from blasting......as they feel they're too far away from any houses to cause any damage. I'm guessing the house shaking whenever they blast is normal. At this point I see a grim outlook to all of this. Had they stated that the damage was to the liner, and at this point they feel that age was the main cause (12 years) I'd question our argument.....but their response caused us to get my brother-in-law, a geologist to start pulling up some paperwork.

At this point I'm all but out of the deal. I've started shopping around for a new liner, as I see no way the current one can be saved. One of the advantages of a larger family (my wife is the youngest of 7) is that there's always somebody to fill each "niche". I was the one who took care of the pool, however at this point it's time for me to tag out and let somebody else take over. My brother-in-law is a geologist for the last 30+ years and enjoys arguing with people. It's on him now. Not sure just how far we're going to push the issue before we just start fixing the problems, as delaying it longer could just start to cause more issues.

Unfortunately it's probably going to cost a lot of money and time to try and pursue them on it. The blasting company will be defaulting to their insurance company on this and insurance companies don't like paying out for this kind of thing. You'd have to prove the direct correlation between the blasting and the damage which can be quite a difficult thing to do. If you have lots of neighbors, all in the same situation with issues all happening at the same time you have a much stronger argument but it still won't be easy. Not trying to be a downer, it's just the unfortunate reality (I provide technical expertise on offshore insurance cases as part of my job).
If your BIL is willing to take it on - good luck to him!

Hope it manages to get resolved for you.

No, don't apologize......you're being realistic and I like that. Best part of this site is the 100% honest answers.

At this point I'm glad it looks like the majority of the permanent is still in tact. As a realist I fully know that proving the blasting split a liner would be difficult, if not impossible. Heck, I'm not even 100% sure it wasn't a freak occurrence. I do know we're documenting everything, in case further damage occurs as we prepare to fix the issues.

But I'm sure my in-laws will continue to argue and b!|€h about the scenario

SOooooooo

I think I've found the leak in the liner and the patch is working for now. I think it's only a matter of time until it goes again, plus I'd worry that the water will tear the 13 year old liner (that's already started to shrink and wrinkle) at the top, thus draining $800 of water once again. My current plan is to add enough water to hold the walls together, do some concrete work and then in the Spring replace the liner. My issue however is just how much is the minimum to add? We'll have to truck water in, and don't want to add a ton....just to drain it next spring.

Anybody know how much water is needed to keep the walls from caving in???

No changes in the water level yet.....I'm starting to hope we found the only leak. Added some bleach today to try to keep it from becoming a cesspool.

Is this pump to much for 25K gallons????

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.