Evaporation with Solar Cover on

heweydewey

LifeTime Supporter
May 20, 2013
Erie, PA
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced evaporation with the solar cover on. I'll be doing the bucket test to check for leaks this week.

About the past week or so, the temp. outside has cooled off at night and has been going as low as 55-57F. Pool temp was pretty high before (90's - no heater) and still around upper 80's.

Has anyone had evaporation occur with the solar cover on when the temp outside has dropped? Just a quick look I lose around 1/16 - 1/8 inch overnight.

Now I do have a small leak/drip at my motor (in the process of fixing - just replaced shaft seal twice and still leaking) but i dont think enough where i would lose that much water each night from. the drip is so slow I rarely can even catch it. But maybe I'm wrong.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Hopefully I'm just getting worried over nothing!

A full coverage solar cover should reduce evaporation to imperceptible levels. It sounds like you have a leak. An 1/8" a night would be more than a drip, more like (approximately) 30 gallons of water a night.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.