Phosphates! and now what

It's an in-ground, cement? gunite? I actually don't know what it's made of. Just bought the house in January. Its a plain white/tan somewhat smooth finish. I should also add that the pool water is horribly cloudy, has been that way for a few days. I would assume from the Phosphate stuff the pool guy suggested I add (8 ounces) it also says may cloud water.

To keep it from going green, you could add some liquid chlorine (bleach). The poolCalculator.com will tell you how much based on your goal of 7FC and your volume. Do you have one of the yellow OTO test kits? This would be a good solid lemon yellow in color... but I guess your test kit will get there quick from Raleigh.

I just wanted to show you what you posted the other day from the pool store testing:
hybridtrendz said:
Total alkalinity 105 ppm
Calcium Hardness 350 ppm
Stabilizer 100 ppm
Judging from your new results they were way off on your CH and since you didn't replace 45% of your water the CYA numbers were off too. Wanted you to see how bad pool store testing is, and how useful a kit of your own is going to be!

Your pH is perfect. CH a bit high but if you aren't having problems with it I wouldn't worry too much, just don't use any cal-hypo to chlorinate. You didn't post TA readings, make sure you check that just to be sure. CYA is a bit high, wouldn't hurt to bring it down a touch more but it's not way out of range and should be manageable.

You need to raise your FC to around 7 and keep it above 5 at all times. You have some CC, how does your water look? Tonight might be a good night to run an OCLT to see if you have anything that you need to SLAM in to submission.

My water is so cloudy I can barely see the drains in the bottom. That is after I drained and refilled, before I could hardly see the first step (only 3" below water line).

A couple days prior to those pool store readings I posted I went to the pool store to have the water checked and they told me I needed to add 15lbs of calcium hardness. I didn't, I only had a couple pounds so I added that. Those are the readings they gave me. Now I know I can't really take their test results to the bank.

I'll try raising the FC up. I should also keep the puck chlorinator off, correct? since that will only raise the CYA levels? I could probably drain/refill more water tomorrow to get the CYA levels lower (hopefully)

If your water is that cloudy you can skip the OCLT, begin SLAMing right away. No need to verify what your pool is already telling you, it needs SLAMed!

And yes, keep the puck chlorinator turned off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When doing the OCLT, should the pump/filter be left on all night ? With the help from you guys and the information from this site, my pool is already looking great. I have been slamming the pool since Friday and the water is now almost perfectly clear. I left the pump run all night and lost 2.5ppm FC

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.