Where to buy cyanuric acid

Jul 10, 2013
Northern Howell, NJ
When you have a question always start your own thread rather than hijack. Butterfly

Where do you guys buy Cyanuric acid? I recently bought 2 six lb containers at local pool store for $36 per container. It was BioGuard which I believe to be a quality product but surely I should be able to find cheaper. I need about another 6 lbs to get to the higher level recommended for SWG.

I just purchased some from Pool Supply World.

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/PoolSupp ... Y565-2.htm

Much better price than I could find anywhere and I got free shipping on my entire order.

Edited to add the MSDS for the Pool Supply World CYA for future reference.

Regards,

Jay

Attachments

• Baleco_Conditioner-Stabilizer_MSDS.pdf
    51.3 KB · Views: 20
I'm not convinced that the brands they sell at the big box stores, especially WalMart, are pure. And if you look at the dosages on those, it is usually not nearly enough to get to the levels we discuss in this forum. So the price may seem cheaper, but you have to add much more product.

The stuff I buy at Walmart has always been 100% cyanuric acid and the dosing has been spot on what the pool calc says it should be. I don't know how you can say that it's not pure. Where are you looking at the dosages being different? Different than what?

The product above says to add 1 2/3 lbs per 10k Gallons (to get to what? 10ppm 20ppm?)
Leslies product says to add 2 1/3 lbs per 10k Gallons (No idea what this will raise it by. Don't have a container in front of me)
BioGurad 100 says to add 3 1/3 lbs per 10k Gallons (At least BioGuard says this will raise you to 40 ppm).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mikemass said:
Click on the link from poolsupplyworld that griffths posted above. Then go to the questions tab. Read the answer to Joyce's question in there.

Do you think 20ppm CYA is acceptable for ANY pool?
Not at all. And if you read the instructions at Leslies for stabilizer, their recommended dose is 2.5 pounds per 10,000 gallons. Which works out to exactly 30 PPM.

It's the directions that are deficient, not the chemical. They tend to aim low because you will be constantly adding CYA via trichlor pucks and the weekly "shock" dose of dichlor.

I'm not following your logic at all. Adding 3½ cups in 10,000 gallons of water will raise the CYA by 21 ppm. That's what the answer said. And by the way, 20 ppm is perfect for an indoor pool.

You should have also learned on this forum not to take mfg's recommendations on a lot of things.

So because they don't tell you how much it'll raise the CYA you say it's not pure. Quit reading the mfg's recommended dosing and use the Pool Calc to add ever how much you need to get to where you want to be.

yes. Leslies says 2 1/2. I typoed and wrote 2 1/3.

I don't use and have never used trichlor or dichlor products, so I only add CYA via a pure stablizer product.

If we are discussing CYA, I think it's safe to assume we are talking about outdoor pools.

And the specs on the poolsupplyworld says it's 90% pure. Under the questions, they try and say it "might be" as high as 99%. That's sounds trustworthy.

I will appologize for specifically mentioning whatever WalMart carries as I have don't buy chemicals from there. It was more of an opinion... Cheap product usually = cheap value. Agree to disagree with that statement, but that's my opinion. Most of us probably made a significant investment in installing a pool. If not buying my pool supplies from a place that sells $2 underwear gives me peace of mind so be it.

mikemass said:
yes. Leslies says 2 1/2. I typoed and wrote 2 1/3.

I don't use and have never used trichlor or dichlor products, so I only add CYA via a pure stablizer product.
No..but most people who buy the overpriced stuff at the pool store blindly follow the pool store's advice, which is, "Buy this bucket o'pucks and these tubs of shock."

There's a whole lot of stuff I wouldn't buy at Walmart. But sealed containers of brand-name stuff are probably safe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.