Trying to re-open the pool...

socalspur said:
I was able to see the bottom center of the pool yesterday. I took a saw and hacked the plastic grate off of the intake inside the pool. This allows me to vac to waste and not getting that strainer full and having all the bits go back into the pool. Plus the sand filter has a built in strainer anyway so the inside strainer is kind of redundant.

I also figured out I was using my pool hose backwards and that is why I was having so much trouble vacuuming.

During the day FC dropped to 20 ppm with cya still at 70 so we swam last night. I opened my eyes underwater and had no chemically eye burn.

I did notice kind of crusty buildup on the liner. Anybody know if this is salt, calcium or something else?

Thanks
I'd bet Calcium. I bet it looks like the crust on the coffeemaker and the showerhead.

What is the best way to deal with this? Mechanically scrubbing or is this something that can be dealt with by altering pool chemistry?

I also noticed a couple of days ago that the pool vacuum handle (aluminum) had many small buildups on it as well. Still sound like calcium?

My SWG is now having the red service light come on, so I will have to figure that out as well. Seems like PCBA issues from other threads, but just starting to look into that problem.

Thanks,

Keehan

socalspur said:
Bump. How to deal with calcium buildup? Do I need to scrub it off or can it be dealt with chemically.

SWG still offline. FC at 3 this morning. Added 40 fl oz 10% bleach to bump back to 8. Water getting clearer every day.

Thanks again,

Keehan
It won't scrub off. It can be blasted off after you empty the pool, or acid washed, or if you're patient, you can dissolve it over the course of a couple years by maintaining a slightly negative CSI. Try using the search box and read up on sand blasting, bead blasting, and acid washing.

The white crust on the skimmer pole is the aluminum oxidizing. Unless you leave the pole in the pool 24/7.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.