Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine While on Vacation

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine While on Vacation

What is the best approach to keep proper levels of FC in the pool while on vacation for 10 days? I don't have a automatic chlorinator.

Thanks -
    20x40 30,000 gal IG Liner, Pentair II Sand

2. Back To Top    #2
    Lot's of pucks in a few floaters? May lead to CYA issues, depending on where your at currently.

Find someone you trust and is responsible and delegate adding bleach nightly?

Other than that, the 8 gal liquidator gets my vote.

3. Back To Top    #3
    I wouldn't think using pucks for 10 days while on vacation would greatly reduce the CYA. How much CYA does one puck raise 10K gallons of water?
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

4. Back To Top    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by tagprod
    I wouldn't think using pucks for 10 days while on vacation would greatly reduce the CYA. How much CYA does one puck raise 10K gallons of water?
    Going from memory, I believe almost half the weight of a puck is CYA. So, an 8oz puck would add 4oz of CYA, roughly. What that ultimately does to the CYA level after 10 days will depend on how many pucks it takes and the current level. May or may not be a problem.

I have no experience with floaters. Not sure how long it takes pucks to dissolve in them, or how many pucks it might take to cover 10 days, if it's even possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

One 8-ounce Trichlor puck (note that they vary in weight -- some are 6 or 7 ounces) in 10,000 gallons will raise the FC by 5.5 ppm and will raise the CYA by 3.3 ppm.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6
    I had a friend who owns a pool "and understands" the situation, pour some bleach on day 4 and day 8 and I came home to crystal clear water. It's not necessary for it to be checked every day. Perhaps there is someone that can stop by once or twice and add some bleach for you?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7
    Rangerman,

If you have a cover, any type of cover, heck you could use some landscape plastic, dump some bleach in to bring your FC level up then cover it, with no sunlight it will reduce your clorine consumption,

$150 will get you a solar cover, when you get back from vaction pool will not only be clear but warmer

Rob
    13,000 IG Plaster, 2hp whisperflo pump, 48 sq in pentair DE Filter, 1 skimmer, 2 eyeball outlets, 200 sq ft solar panels on second story, Auto Pilot SWG-36, Polaris ATV Cleaner