Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Paint over a plastered pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Paint over a plastered pool?

Hi all!
    I was wondering if it's possible to paint over a plastered pool? The pool is about 18 years old, In Ground and looking kind of dingy. I don't want to spend the money on a replaster job so I was wondering if it's possible to just fix any surface imperfections and just paint over the old plaster. The pool and equipment is in great condition otherwise. Anyone have any ideas or comments?

Thanks Marco
    Polaris 380 Blackmax

2. Back To Top    #2
    I wouldn't. If the plaster really needs to be replaced, ie lose/uneven/crumbling then painting won't help much. Also paint doesn't last nearly as long as plaster does, is a mess to clean up when it does start failing, and it costs almost as much as plaster.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

MrcTag,

I think Jason is correct that having a pool replastered or painted BY PROFESSIONALS is going to cost almost as much as plaster.

But there may be a few caveats to the above statement. Painting, while extremely labor intensive, could be able to be done by a motivated amateur, whereas plastering would best be left to professionals. Also, the extensive preparation needed for paint deserves a decent paint - i.e. a two part epoxy. Two part epoxy paint is expensive also.

Here is a link discussing pool painting. http://www.poolrepair.com/archive/paint.html

These guys publish a CD for about $45 or so. I purchased the CD last year and it was worth the money. If you decide you want to investigate painting your pool further, I would highly recommend buying the CD and learning more. They dedicate 33 pages of their CD to pool painting. They estimate that the cost for paint and equipment is going to cost $750 - I'm not sure how old this cost estimate is, so I would budget at least $1000 for the effort. $45 spent on the CD seems reasonable in the context of a $1000 paint job.

As for any sort of paint job, 90% of the labor can be atributed to surface preparaton. And the key to a good paint job is 1) surface prep, 2) surface prep, and 3) surface prep. And given all that effort on the surface preparation, you are NOT going to want to apply a cheap pool paint. As mentioned above, use 2-part epoxy paint only. Any other kind of paint is not going to give you the durable and long-lasting results you want.

Let us know what you decide to do. And take pictures!

Titanium
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

4. Back To Top    #4

I was quoted $8500 for a replaster job and that is why I was thinking about paint. The pool surface is not in bad shape at all so with some good prep work I think it would look nice. I cant imagine a paint job would be near $8500 but you never know. Now that I know it's possible I'll see whats involved and how much a good paint job would cost.

Thanks guys for your advice.

Marco
    Polaris 380 Blackmax

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    over the years, there have been many posts of problematic paint jobs but few of failed plaster.

Overall, paint simply does not perform as well as plaster.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6
    Painting is going to last 1 to 3 years. replastering should be good for about 15 yerars.

7. Back To Top    #7

waterbear,

What type of paint has the 1-3 year lifespan?

Titanium
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

8. Back To Top    #8

Our new to us home & pool was also painted.
    Now we have to have it sandblasted off to get the thick layer of paint off to have it replastered. this is something to think about if you ever want to go back to plaster (the sand blasting expense and pain)

Chris
    (counting the days to start our refurb on our pool...est. date to start 16 June)
    30-40yr old prehistoric IG gunite 20 X 40 approx 30000gals
    now with new cool blue Diamond Brite and blue waterline tile (looking good for 40yr old pool)
    new Hayward 244T sand filter, 3/4 Hayward pump, Jandy heat pump
    pool skim (love it)