New owner of an old pool....

kalats

Jun 13, 2013
Hello Everyone,
This coming month I am closing on our new home, which contains a circa 68 vinyl lined inground pool. The surrounding area needs work, but the pool itself appeared to be in decent shape. Plus the filter is nearing its end of life. I figured it would be best if I have the pool serviced the first year since I will be renovating the interior for most of the summer. However, I would like to learn as much as possible this year before jumping into DIY maintenance next year. Starting off with the most critical items; the filter & diving board.

About the filter; I know its getting close to its end of life and would like to prepare for its eventual replacement. In reading some information online; I was under the impression it might be worth replacing the filter system with the following:

-Increase the skimmer line to a 2" with a larger skimmer.
-Install a separate 2" pressure type cleaner line for an automatic cleaner
-Provide a minimum 60 sf DE filter
-Provide a hayward 1 (maybe 1.5) HP filter.
-Provide a timer on the filter system

Any thoughts on this proposal? And is it possible to DIY the whole thing? Seems very scary..

As for the diving board; attached is a photo of the base. The previous sellers "misplaced" the board. Just wondering if I can find a replacement board or do I have to install a new one?

Any help you guys could provide would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• P1230002.JPG
    P1230002.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 89
Welcome to TFP!

Replacing plumbing is very involved because you have to either dig under the concrete decking or remove part of it and then dig. 2" is probably overkill for a cleaner.

Be careful of oversizing the pump. More than likely you can get by with a 1HP pump or even smaller.

I'd run with what you have for a while before considering major changes.

Check with your home insurance company before making any plans to repair / replace your diving board, some of them will not cover pools with diving boards, it seems to be about a 50/50 split on the issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.