6 month old Rebel only works if remove the cover

Poolbigpapa

Jul 31, 2022
Southern California
Good morning. I had had the Rebel for 6 months and worked like a charm. One day noticed it wasnt working so opened lid and pulled out a twig and worked. Next day not working. Removed lid to look and worked until next day. Took to pool store where i got it and he checked all gears and wheels and all looked great. I have tried lower and higher suction but the only thing that works is opening the cover and immediately it works and runs for the remainder of the day. Pentair has not responded to numerous requests for help. Any ideas? Gears, wheels, cleaner all in good shape. Cover doesnt seem to touch wheels or anything. Thanks tons, i am at a loss.

I’m not familiar with the internal workings of the Rebel but @Dirk has one.

Does the cover fit on in such a way that it puts forces onto the plastic shell that then maybe causes some internal part to bind up? Can you take the cover off and maybe push on the unit in different ways to see if you can simulate what the cover is doing to see if you can get it to bind up? Definitely seems rather odd that the presence of the cover would make such a dramatic difference unless it’s forcing something to bind up.

Sorry, I've never opened mine, so I wouldn't even be able to guess. Isn't it still under warranty? Have the store or Pentair replace it. You might want to leave off the part of the story where you've taken it apart and/or removed a stick from inside it.

If you never do figure it out, there are rebuild kits for it. And I've seen advertised where you can just buy the head component (without the hoses) for a significant discount.

I’m not familiar with the internal workings of the Rebel but @Dirk has one.

Does the cover fit on in such a way that it puts forces onto the plastic shell that then maybe causes some internal part to bind up? Can you take the cover off and maybe push on the unit in different ways to see if you can simulate what the cover is doing to see if you can get it to bind up? Definitely seems rather odd that the presence of the cover would make such a dramatic difference unless it’s forcing something to bind up.
Its so wierd. I cant see any place that would bind it up, obviously cant see until remove the cover then it works great. But i cant see any restriction. I suppose the suction dynamic can be affected by removing the cover. Pentair is useless. Customer service has not rsponded x 3 attempts.

Sorry, I've never opened mine, so I wouldn't even be able to guess. Isn't it still under warranty? Have the store or Pentair replace it. You might want to leave off the part of the story where you've taken it apart and/or removed a stick from inside it.

If you never do figure it out, there are rebuild kits for it. And I've seen advertised where you can just buy the head component (without the hoses) for a significant discount.

Thanks for the links. I took it to the pool place i bought it from and he said all gears look good and had no idea. Pentair customer service has not responded x 3 attempts. Turns out its a year old so prob just passed warranty. Will keep trying. Thanks again.

Keep an informal log of your attempts to contact Pentair with no response. If your first call was before the warranty expired, but you don't get a hold of them until after, technically they should still honor the warranty. It's a long shot, but worth mentioning. Pentair support is usually pretty good, and I've always gotten them on the phone. Maybe they have a labor shortage like everybody else, in which case they should allow some leeway if it was them that failed to address your warranty request in time.

Keep an informal log of your attempts to contact Pentair with no response. If your first call was before the warranty expired, but you don't get a hold of them until after, technically they should still honor the warranty. It's a long shot, but worth mentioning. Pentair support is usually pretty good, and I've always gotten them on the phone. Maybe they have a labor shortage like everybody else, in which case they should allow some leeway if it was them that failed to address your warranty request in time.
Thanks man, great idea!

Reactions: Dirk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.