No Free Chlorine in TN

Finally have the FAS-DPD results.Had to run it twice.With the speed stir it did not turned pink.When I just did it by hand,it barely turned pink.Here are all results.

FAS-DPD Test
FC-1.0
CC-4.0
TC-5.0

Taylor K2005 Results
FC-.5 ppm
CC-5 ppm
PH-7.4
TA-80 ppm
CH-270 ppm
CYA-20 ppm
Salt-3600 ppm

Do not see any FC to speak of.Any suggestions will be much appreciated.Sorry for the late post. Yard boy duties today.The pool is still crystal clear.

SLUGGO60 said:
Finally have the FAS-DPD results.Had to run it twice.With the speed stir it did not turned pink.When I just did it by hand,it barely turned pink.Here are all results.

FAS-DPD Test
FC-1.0
CC-4.0
TC-5.0

Taylor K2005 Results
FC-.5 ppm
CC-5 ppm
PH-7.4
TA-80 ppm
CH-270 ppm
CYA-20 ppm
Salt-3600 ppm

Do not see any FC to speak of.Any suggestions will be much appreciated.Sorry for the late post. Yard boy duties today.The pool is still crystal clear.
Shock level for 20 CYA is 11.

3¼ gallons of 8.25% Chlorox for a 27000 gallon pool. Have at it!

Tested the CYA again this morning before buying bleach.Did not make sense that the CYA level went down from 40 ppm earlier in the week. This morning it tested at between 40-50 ppm.Per the pool calculator,7 gallons should do it for that CYA level.How long will it take for the shock level to dissipate and a true FC level to show itself ? If I still have no FC after this,should I shock again as I did earlier in the week with bleach for an algae problem ? Does the brand of bleach matter ? I used Walmart bleach last week. Will buy Clorox this morning.

SLUGGO

SLUGGO60 said:
Tested the CYA again this morning before buying bleach.Did not make sense that the CYA level went down from 40 ppm earlier in the week. This morning it tested at between 40-50 ppm.Per the pool calculator,7 gallons should do it for that CYA level.How long will it take for the shock level to dissipate and a true FC level to show itself ? If I still have no FC after this,should I shock again as I did earlier in the week with bleach for an algae problem ? Does the brand of bleach matter ? I used Walmart bleach last week. Will buy Clorox this morning.

SLUGGO
You're continuing the shock process that wasn't quite finished.

You need to pass ALL THREE tests before you let the FC drop/
1) Water is clear.
2) CC is .5 or less. You reported 4.
3) Overnight loss test is 1 or less.

There is no "true FC" level - bleach is consumed by organic debris and wastes (dust, algae, sweat, dead skin) and sunlight. Wait long enough and it will go to zero. Long enough could range from hours to days, depending on how much crud is in the water and how sunny it is.

So hit it hard to get FC up around 20. Keep it up there until All 3 tests pass. Then let it come down to about 6 and keep it there.

The problem with this whole mess is that I am leaving for a week on Sunday.Will hit it hard today and see what it is tonight or tomorrow . The only one here will be my wife,who I cannot ask to do much more than test it and shock it again on Sunday,which I am guessing it will need.
The best I suppose I can hope for here is that it will not turn green while I am gone,then I can start the process over again.Someone suggested an Ammonia issue in the pool,what's up with that ? Just curious.
Thnx for your help !
SLUGGO

Here is the latest ;

Shocked at 3:00pm with 8 gallons of Clorox.

FAS-DPD/4:00 pm
FC-5ppm
CC-1ppm
TC-6ppm

FAS-DPD/ 5:30 pm
FC-3.5ppm
CC-.5ppm
TC-4ppm

If I am seeing and understanding this correctly,even though I am loosing free chlorine , I am also getting rid of whatever is eating up the FC by way of the declining CC number. On my way to get 8 more gallons to hit it again before the lights go out for the day. Will check to see what it dropped to before I shock it again.Will also check here before I do as well.

SLUGGO

The more often you can add more chlorine the better. You should have had enough on hand to add more at 4PM when it was measured to be too low and then again at 5:30pm if needed. Now you have wasted all that time you could have had elevated FC levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FAS-DPD/7:00pm
FC-2.0 ppm
CC-1.0 ppm
TC-3.0 ppm

Shocked @ 7:00 pm with 8 gallons of Clorox.
Plenty of FC now.

FAS-DPD/8:00 pm
FC-28.5 ppm
CC-1.0 PPM
TC-29.5 PPM

Shut every thing off for the night and will see what we loose through the night with the OCLT.

SLUGGO

Tested this morning ;
FAS-DPD/4:30 am
FC-21 ppm
CC-1 ppm
TC-22 ppm

K 2005
PH-7.2 ppm
CH-270 PPM
TA-90 ppm
CYA-40 ppm
SALT-3600 ppm

FC loss in 8 hour period-7.5 ppm. Will keep the shock level @ 20 ppm and see how it goes.Can kids swim @ this FC level ? Should I adjust the PH or leave it until the FC is stable ?

SLUGGO

Back in town and the pool is clear.It appears to have held FC since it had the shock regimen you guys walked me through. Here are the results as they read this morning ;

K-2005 TEST KIT
FC-2 ppm
TC-2.5 ppm
CC-.5 ppm
PH-7.8
ALK-70 ppm
CYA-40 ppm
SALT-3600 ppm

Bottom feels slippery.Will shock for normal shock values and run the OCLT tonight and see where I am in the morning.Weather here is in the 90's with high humidity and full sun on the water all day.Pump runs from 5am to 5pm.
Thanks for everyone's help to this point.Any other input is surely welcome.Will post results in the morning again.

SLUGGO

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.