Can I vent a gas heater, if so, any ideas?

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
So after deciding on a gas heater, I am now in a pickle. I haven't yet purchased the unit, but reading the manual online, it says:

The unit must be 5 feet from the wall of the pool No problem. The unit must not be installed with the top vent within 10 feet below, or to either side of any opening to the building. Big problem.

I haven't confirmed, but am sure that a window is considered an opening. I've walked my yard and even stared at the scale drawing I created for township code purposes and can't figure a good way to do this. My pool is 5 feet from my house and my pump/filter are up against the wall of my home. Options: Read 1 and 2 for what I've considered, or skip to 3 for the real question

1 - move the filter/pump, and install the heater, on the other side of my deck. That would mean a 15 foot run to/from the pool. Probably need to increase to a 2 HP pump, plus the heat loss, due to 30 feet of hose being under the deck, lying on the cool ground, etc. Add to that the noise level for folks sitting on the deck. The only upside to this is that my gas grill should be located there, so the cost of the pipe run will exist if I go with a gas grill anyway.

2 - I could leave the pump/filter where they are and run 10 feet to my heater. Now, to be 5 feet from the pool wall, the heater ends up cutting into my swing-set area and does ruin the flow of the yard, but... Also, they recommend no more than a 5 foot run from the pump/filter to the heater. So now my pump/filter would be cutting into that same swing-set area. My one daughter loves to swing, so...

3 - Here's my real question Can I, or a certified HVAC tech, connect a vent pipe extension to the heater? I could mount the heater directly next to my current pump/filter, then run a vent extension along the house wall, then up the side of the house, right next to my rain gutter, and vent above the roof. This is exactly how our Radon vent is run and it is in fact a rain gutter that was used to accomplish it.

Thoughts?

Local codes supersedes the manual. Check out your codes in the area you live as to where and how you can place the unit. If you really are not sure, hire a professional. But first know your local codes.

Thanks. I am headed to the township on Tuesday and am having an HVAC tech run the lines. More and more, our township seems to follow national codes. I was just curious is anyone had run an extension on theirs. As far as the install, my father-in-law retired from PECO an has installed many gas/electric appliances. That said, I need a new pad installed, etc., etc. so I might let the folks who installed the pool handle the install.

EDIT I just saw another manual that reads 4 feet, so it will be interesting to see what our town says. Also, at the recommendation of a member, I looked at Raypak. Aside from their 130,000BTU unit, they also sell a power vent - probably for moving indoor to outdoor, but it was interesting.

I have way more than 15 feet from my heater to my pool, and my hoses are above ground. I have no problem with it and can't believe I lose a significant of efficiency doing it that way (granted, I mostly heat in summer months). Let others chime in, but if you need a new pad anyway I would think you'd be fine relocating the pump and filter or putting the heater remotely from them the way you said.

Isaac-1 said:
Is sealing the window an option, I know for most code purposes windows that don't open are not considered openings for exhaust fume purposes.

Sorry, I should have listed that. The room nearest the pool was a dining room, but we had converted it into a home office. So, we never really open those windows and I proposed to the wife a bow or bay window. We both like the idea, so that's an option as well./

crek31 said:
I have way more than 15 feet from my heater to my pool, and my hoses are above ground. I have no problem with it and can't believe I lose a significant of efficiency doing it that way (granted, I mostly heat in summer months). Let others chime in, but if you need a new pad anyway I would think you'd be fine relocating the pump and filter or putting the heater remotely from them the way you said.

Yeah, I just don't want the noise right at the deck. Between the pump and the heater I might not be able to hear my wife talking. Wait....hmm...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.